Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: hunting loads for a .75 ?  (Read 994 times)

Offline adkmountainken

• TMA Forum Member
hunting loads for a .75 ?
« on: August 28, 2018, 06:11:39 AM »
i will be getting a .75 cal soon and was looking for suggestions on loads for small game, turkey and deer. i will be using Goex FF, a .765 cast rb and either #4 or #5 shot.  i plan to run bare ball if possible like i do with my .62 using hornets nest over powder and if need be over ball.  will go with patched rb if need be.  ok any load suggestions?

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Re: hunting loads for a .75 ?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 06:34:06 AM »
if it's a true .75 smoothie, i'd suggest some testing for a good ball diameter first, and that will depend on whether the ball is naked or wrapped.  i think yer mention of a .765 ball was a typo.  also, personally, i'd rather wrap a ball in well lubed cloth, which will mean a much smaller ball diameter and a much tighter barrel fit than a naked ball.  a well lubed patch allows me consecutive loads without addressing fouling control and offers a better gas check.  i use a .590 or .595 ball w/.015 greased patch in a .62 (which, like most .62's is actually .615).

however, to be historically correct and emulate the 18th century fowler (if need be), tow was a favorite for loading ball or shot.  cloth was a premium and used for where it counted most - clothing.   wasp/bee nesting, leaves, mulch, balled dried grass, leather, paper - all were used for wadding.

as to loading shot, lotta variables that will require testing in yer gun.  the basics usually work at least ok - powder load, shot card, lubed shot cushion, shot load, over shot card wad.

lots of good ways to load a smoothie for ball, buck or bird shot.  more posts from others will show that .... but what yer gun wants might be diff'rent.

Offline Ironhand

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Supporting Member # 664, Expiration 5/4/2019
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 12:19:56 PM »
My carbine does well with a. 735 ball and 10 thousands patch. 90 gr. FF.
Smoothies can be picky about loads. While my carbine likes a patch my trade gun likes a bare ball over a standard wad column. Try everything then decide.

IronHand
Place your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark.

Lazarus Long

Offline trent/OH

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 12:45:48 PM »
Sorry I'm late to the party.
My .75 likes 100 grains of Goex Fg, or 90 grains of Goex FFg. It's a pretty hefty thump, but that's what it takes to stabilize that small planetoid coming out the muzzle. I hope to transition to Old Eynsford soon, but there's quite a bit of Goex I still need to use up. At 90 or 100 grains per shot, it shouldn't take too long.  :)

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 05:08:27 PM »
Thanks for the info on various hunting loads for the .75 cal. I am just now trying to figure out what my trade gun prefers so all the various suggestions give me a good place to start. It is become obvious that I have some testing to do to figure out what works best for ol' Bodacious.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan