Craftsmanship > Accoutrements

squirrel cooker

(1/6) > >>

ridjrunr:
Does anyone in the TMA make and trade or sell a good quality sqirrel cooker with pouch?   ridjrunr

melsdad:
O.K., what does a squirrel cooker look like?

ridjrunr:
Thats what I said on Sat. when my friend LB said "we could use my squirrel cooker".His was made out of 1/4 square stock about 16" long.One section pokes in the ground and at the top,the stock is twisted and flattened to make an elongated hole at about,oh I'd say 10-15 deg. to horizontal. Then the other piece is about the same length and has a fork on one end and a very neat little hook/loop on the other.The forked end is used for yer meat and then you can flip it around  and use a little piece of link to hold a small pot at various levels.And it all fit into a nice little leather pouch and thong tie.And of course it has decorative twists in it and such.I'll try and get a pix in the future.Slick as can be.

Mike Ameling:
Yes, they are handy.  I even have two I occasionally carry and use - at certain events.  

But, as far as I have seen/heard, they do not have any historical documentation to back them up.  They may be ... historically inspired ... but not based upon any original artifacts, paintings, or descriptions --- that I have seen or heard of so far.

The closest thing would be a Roasting Fork.  They were designed to roast or warm up meat in your fireplace.  They generally had two tines, a long handle, and two attached legs near the fork end - to hold it up when set next to the fire.  The long handle balanced the meat on the other end, and rests on the ground or floor.  

Separate individual roasting forks or skewers, yes.  Just not a combination with a holder to stick in the ground.  But they sure are handy.

So I personally seldom carry/use one.  And it becomes a matter of personal choice if you wish to use one.  Although, the have become ... accepted ... by many pretty strict groups and juried events.  Accepted ...

Just my humble thoughts to share, and best used in conjunction with your own research.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Gambia:
They look like this,
Brian I have one ifn' ya' wants to see it. Let me know and I will bring it along to the next shoot....let me see now, where did I put that.....
[/img]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version