Craftsmanship > Accoutrements

spy glass and/or telescope

(1/5) > >>

Fort Greene Ville:
Anyone have or for that matter looked for information regarding the history of the slide handheld telescope?

I know it seems boats-men, military, and possibly surveyors would have used such an item. I myself have just not thought to look at the historic references in this regard.

I was considering one for hunting whilst in my PC attire.

What do you think?

FGV

hawkeye:
I carry a small brass telescope in my haversack when in 'uniform'. It has come in handy on occasion.  I don't know the historic providence of carrying a glass though other than sailors, officers or surveyors that you mentioned.

Sir Michael:
In his journal for the 1825/6 expedition, Peter Ogden includes this reference.

--- Quote ---With the glass we could observe Blackfeet scattered about the hills watching our motions.
--- End quote ---
From this I would conclude that they were in the mountains and some folks were using them.  I think it would depend a great deal on where you are, the type of terrain, and the density of the vegetation.

Kermit:
I, too, have a small brass 'scope that rides in my haversack. Never gave much thought to PC-ness though. It's about 7" collapsed and about a foot extended. It focuses by push/pull and is about 2 or 3 power with a tiny field of view. Handy, nevertheless. It often gets employed as a "spotting scope" at the range. Just a fair long-looker in the field. A sorry substitute for modern optics. I have another larger brass 'scope that rides in my seachest. Not doing much traditional sailing anymore though.

No Rod:
OK so you piqued my interest and now I'm looking for a source for a spy glass. Well?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version