Craftsmanship > Accoutrements

leaky cups

(1/3) > >>

wwpete52:
I have 3 tin cups that are leaking.  What is the best way to fix them (other than buying new cups)?

Riley/MN:
Drink faster???

melsdad:
I imagine you could solder them.

Three Hawks:
Most of the cheap tin cups sold now are not waterproof in the first place.  If you look carefully at the joint where the bottom of the handle attaches to the bowl of the cup you'll see it is loose in the rolled joint,   as well as being incorporated into the bottom-side joint.  There is no way I can think of that will make that joint water tight as there is some sort of rubber like sealant in there. Heating it makes an awful mess.

I suggest getting higher quality cups made by a competent tinsmith and having them tinned inside and out. It ain't gonna be too cheap.  Or go the way I finally did and get a stoneware mug.  That ain't cheap either.

Try Jas. Townsend and Sons,  

G.Gedney Godwin,

Track of the Wolf, and

Turkey Foot Trading CLICK   I'd try TTF TRADING First, but that's just me and I like 'em.

Three Hawks

Mike Ameling:
You only really have two choices for a fix.  One is to solder or re-solder the bottom joint/seam.  Or you could use some modern epoxy to glue the seam/joint.  

The cheapo tin cups so many mass vendors sell at events just don't last very long before they leak or rust out.  But if you make the investment in a quality hot-dipped tin cup from a good tinsmith using proper historical methods and styling, it will last you far longer than buying 4 or 5 of the cheapo's.  In the end you will end up paying less for better quality.

Mikey

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version