Craftsmanship > Accoutrements

leaky cups

<< < (3/3)

Three Hawks:
Written by Mikey, the Grumpy ol' Gunsmith.

"But most "tin cups" you see, even by some of the better tinsmiths, have that hand-cranked machine rolled and crimped seam. They do it for the savings in time and energy when manufacturing a cup. Those mid 1800's and later hand-cranked tinsmithing machines were made to speed up production and cut manufacturing costs."

Mikey, you say "even by some of the better tinsmiths" as if it were a bad thing.  The roll crimped cups and kettles were done that way, as you say, to keep time and costs down.  It also resulted in producing a better product faster,  making it cheaper to buy and affording the maker a better profit.  My HBC kettle is "tabbed" with a very complex rim and bail ears.  The seam of the body is also "tabbed" and that kettle, while nearly a work of art,  would take an experienced craftsman several hours to do,  to say nothing of the time spent making the lid with it's wired rim and and ring.  I also have a 2 qt.  tinned sheet steel boiler made by roll crimping the body seam,  rolling the bottom to the body and soldering. The bail ears are simply rivetted to the body and a bail made of iron wire.   I would venture to say that a competent tinker could make a dozen of these in the time it takes  to make one of the HBC kettles and is at least as good quality.  

One thing I've learned to do is keep both away from the fire unless there's water in 'em.  They unsolder themselves in a heartbeat if they're dry.  

The new food can style tin cups I have have a synthetic sticky sealant in them, and with the handle attatchment incorporated into the bottom seam and the rim, begin leaking almost as soon as the cup has liquid put in it.  Soldering those seams is not possible.

I'd almost bet money that Wally's cups are made by turning up a flange on the bottom of the cup, then soldering, with the handle rivetted to the bowl of the cup.  That style tends to be more attratictive (to me at least) and durable as well as lending itself to speedy, efficacious repairs should the need arise.

Three Hawks

Mike Ameling:
No, tinware made using those hand-cranked machines is not a bad thing.  They really do speed up production and help make things more afforable.  I was just pointing out that particular method of construction of tinware points to a later time period - 1840's and later.  That little ... detail ... is more important to some people than others.  It all depends upon the personal level people choice for their gear in this Living History hobby.  

Most people either don't know or do not see the differences in the method of construction of tinware - and most don't seem to care.  So it's not a "bad thing" or a "good thing".  It just is.

Mikey

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version