Craftsmanship > Accoutrements

Turtle shell Question?

(1/7) > >>

CowboyCS:
My sons catch turtles sometimes when they are down fishing close to our property, I only let them bring them home when they are basketball size or bigger because they are a lot of work to get the meat out of. Good eating by the way....mmmmmm.
Usually what they catch are soft shells so I just throw the shell away, but yesterday my oldest brought home a Hardshell:

My question is does anybody have any craft Ideas for using the shell, like making a bag or something out of it. It's about 12 inches long and maybe 8 or so inches wide and maybe 3 inches deep at the center. I'll know for sure when I part him from his shell.
So help me out and give me some ideas about what to make out of it and try to include a website with pictures or instructions if you can.
Google didn't help me much.

Thanks in advance.
C

Bioprof:
I've seen some turkey calls made out of turtle shells.   There is a forum with a thread that discusses them.   You might be able to get some ideas from it, but you may have to register for the forum.   http://www.customcalls.com/cgi-bin/yabb ... turtle_brd

CowboyCS:
Thanks for the link, that's a pretty neat idea, I'm not a bird hunter never has been my thing, but those are some pretty cool turkey calls. I'd have never thought of using it for that. I'll have to keep that in mind.
I'm still looking for ideas, anyone is welcome to chime in.

Thanks

C

CowboyCS:
I was just thinking I should probably add the Kansas regulation, cause I know some state don't let you catch any turtles.

KDWP Regs say:
TURTLES

Common snapping turtles and soft-shelled turtles may be taken year-round. Daily creel limit is eight, single species or in combination. Possession limit is three creel limits. A valid fishing license is required (unless exempt). Legal equipment: hand, hook and line, setline, hand dip net, seine, turtle trap, or gig.

Just so you don't think I'm doing anything "Fishy".

C

rollingb:
I've seen some folks walking around various rondies with "belt bags" made of turtle shell, but I've never looked at them closely, or, asked the particulars regarding how to make them.

I've also seen "rattles" made from smaller turtles.

Sorry. I'm not much help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version