Traditional Firearms > Flintlock Pistols

Test Fired Old and New

<< < (2/2)

Jamesk58:
Hawkthrower- you are so right, the 1851 does take #11s and it's in the Dixie description.  Don't know why I was thinking 10s but you got me straightened out.
It will be interesting to see how they do after discharge because the spent 10s almost always got stuck between the cylinder and frame- which I read about from others.

One more thing I forgot to mention on this pistol is the mainspring screw in the grip frame is hopelessly frozen.  I snapped a brand new Grace driver made specifically for that screw.  Grace was nice enough to replace it but I know it will happen again.

I've soaked it in penetrating oil, heated it, tapped it, and it won't budge. Maybe put in the freezer? I don't know but sooner or later it's gotta be removed.

greyhunter:
Stuck screw, PB Blaster. I've found to be better than Kroil or Liquid Wrench. Set fitted screwdriver into slot and tap the end to shock the PB Blaster in to threads. Good Luck.

Jamesk58:
Thanks Greyhunter, I'll give it a shot!

hawkthrower:
If all else fails with a standard screwdriver, and the screw head is still intact - try a T-handle - I use a 1/4 drive Snap-on T-handle an appropriate extension and the correct 1/4in bit - Apply a twist with one hand  and smack the T with a brass mallet (judiciously)!  Along with your application of a penetrating oil and perhaps a bit o carefully applied heat.........The brass on steel will transfer more shock to free the threads than smacking a plastic screwdriver and the T will transfer more torque  on the screw head with less slippage..... :)  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version