Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > General Interest

Instead of swabbing between shots

(1/6) > >>

No Powder:
Instead of swabbing between shots, I read about an individual who simply places a cleaning patch on the end of the jag, and runs this down the barrel as he is shoving the prb down the barrel. Naturally the patch should come back out as the ramrod is removed. Has anyone tried this, or maybe using this method in their loading procedure?

BEAVERMAN:
Since I started using beaver milk as a patch lube I have never had to swab a barrel during a shoot, 30 shots and no swabbing!

No Powder:
My advice to you would be to continue using beaver milk. I'm still using LV, but sooner than later I'll run out. I only have one rifle that causes some issues. Thinking of trying this fellows method to see if it may help. I bought this rifle used, and am thinking some rust in the barrel may be the culprit.

Ohio Joe:

--- Quote from: No Powder on March 13, 2024, 10:55:54 AM ---Instead of swabbing between shots, I read about an individual who simply places a cleaning patch on the end of the jag, and runs this down the barrel as he is shoving the prb down the barrel. Naturally the patch should come back out as the ramrod is removed. Has anyone tried this, or maybe using this method in their loading procedure?

--- End quote ---

I have seen this done many times back in Ohio at the monthly shoots when I was a member of the Shawnee Long Rifles. I've also seen it done at the Nebraska State ML Shoot... I don't think it's a new concept. It has probably been done many a times by more serious shooters who strive for every bit of accuracy they can achieve - and it probably does help... As for me, I'm a spit patcher and usually never swab between shots unless I feel the need to / though I will swab the barrel between 5 shot groups.

IMHO, what you described above Tom, would indeed give one a more "controlled fouled barrel" - shot to shot / as does swabbing between shots / and you wouldn't have to worry about any dampness in the "powder charge" breech area - that may foul the charge...   :shake

No Powder:
I was pretty certain this procedure wasn't anything new. But I didn't remember of reading about it before. But the way my mind works anymore, anything can happen. Joe ,you was correct about being a more uniform barrel condition using this method. And the absence of moisture in the breech was another good point. With these advantages, and maybe others, I think the next trip to the range, will include trying this method. Of course it won't help with the Rev. sized target. Nessmuk is in charge of finding help with that target. :pray

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version