Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > General Interest

Home made patch lube recipes

(1/5) > >>

Gambia:
I found out that Lehigh Valley is no longer in business and I really liked the product they made, So, my question is; Does any one have a homemade recipe that will get close to Lehigh Valley that I can make at home? I would like it to not freeze, have a rust preventative and clean as you shoot, much like LV did.

Bigsmoke:
Griz,
Looked up the company that makes (or made?) the stuff on Manta, and here is contact info on it.  Thunder Ridge Muzzleloading still lists it on his website as well.  I checked out RMC Sports/Ox Yoke who had supposedly inherited it with their buy-out deal of Ox Yoke, but it was no longer listed.  I think it was last year or maybe the year before, Thom deCarr re-established the product after it had been produced under the OxYoke banner for some time.  I was never all that impressed with the product to be concerned one way or the other.  Hope this helps.

Lestom Laboratories Inc
232 W 5th St, Oswego, NY 13126-3629, United States  (Map)

Phone: (315) 343-1111

SIC:Industrial Organic Chemicals, NEC

Line of Business:Mfg Industrial Organic Chemicals

Gambia:
Thanks for all the info, I had been in touch with RMC and a few others that used to carry LV but it seems to have all disappeared. I have a call in with thunder ridge, but haven't heard back from them yet. I really liked LV it seems to give good results here with our weather (won't freeze). I was told that they went out of business, the newest owner. RMC is supposedly thinking about trying to make it since they bought out the ox-yoke brand and that is who used to make it (the second owner) Since it seems to appear and then disappear again, I thought it would be easier to come up with a mixture and make it for myself. I feel sure that there is Murphy's oil soap in it, but I can not figure out what else.
OK guys, come on with some guesses and mixes of your own.

Bigsmoke:
Griz,
Have no idea what is in it, but it sure does smell like Pine-Sol to me.
Anyway, I think I would follow up with the address and phone # to Lestom Industries.  That is the original guy that had it in the first place, then sold out to Ox Yoke for whatever reason.  As I recall, he was not totally satisfied with that transaction, for whatever reason.  It was one of them long stories that never seem to wind up short.  Seems like it was hashed and re-hashed on on of the other forums a while back.  The bottom line from that was that the fellow said he was back and ready to do business.  After that?  I didn't follow up.

melsdad:
This is what I have been using and found that it works very well so far. I tried a few commercial lubes but I like to make things myself.

Tim I will let you try some patches at the next shoot if you want to.

Castor Oil 3 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.
Witch Hazel 4 oz.
Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) 8 oz.
Water (non-chlorinated if available) 16 oz.

I dip my patching in this twice and let it dry laid flat on wax paper in between. Makes a semi-dry patch material that's easy to carry & use. If you don't mind carrying a little bottle it's a GREAT liquid lube as is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version