Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Need help hardening/tempering a few knives  (Read 1694 times)

Offline scrimman

• TMA Forum Member
Need help hardening/tempering a few knives
« on: May 06, 2009, 01:38:43 AM »
Well, I figure if the answer is to be found it'll be on these boards.
Well, the bug hit me, I made a few blades, and I don't have a way to harden them so that they'll be useful.
Any of y'all know of someone that'll harden and temper a knife blade?  I've got two reworked Olsen knives and a rather large Damascus blade.

Thanks in advance
So if you wake up in the morning.....congratulations!  You get another chance!

Offline LRB

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 07:18:33 AM »
Your first step would be to find out exactly what steel these are. In heat treating, one method does not fit all. If the damascus is an India import, you will be lucky if it hardens at all.

Offline rickevans

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Supporting Member #232 ....... Expires 7/5/19
  • TMA Member: 232
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 10:22:00 AM »
Scrim, by "re-worked" what do you mean? How do you know (or what makes you think) they need to be re-heat treated?

Rick
R. C. (Rick) Evans
TMA# 232 Expires 7/5/22
Honorable Company of Horners
Contemporary Longrifle Association
Life Member NRA

Offline scrimman

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 05:48:19 PM »
Thanks y'all for the replys
The Olsen blades used to be hardened blade blanks that were uniformly 3/16ths or so think.  I annealed them in a mesquite wood fire to make them soft enough to file and shape, but I can could tell that the annealing job was kind of slap-dash; too many hard spots for my liking.  Now that they actually resemble knives and not knife shaped slabs of metal I'm trying to re-harden them evenly so that they're useful and not just decorative.  Sadly, I can't find any info whatsoever on what kind of steel Olsen used for their products.  
The Damascus steel, however, I know lots about.  The billet I bought off of Craig Barr, and it's 5160, 1018, and 15n20 with a core of 1018 running up the middle of it.  That's the one that bothers me the most because it's a long blade (just shy of 10") and I can't think of a way I can heat it uniformly to make sure I get a good knife out of the deal.
Wyo, thanks, I'll contact him and see what he says.

Sean
So if you wake up in the morning.....congratulations!  You get another chance!

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
Need help hardening/tempering a few knives
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 08:14:36 AM »
Bookie from Toad Hall shows a method of hardening and annealing that I've tried and it seams to work. I'm no scientist or engineer and have no way to test the results except by using the end result of my efforts.
After getting the blade hotter than the dickens[official term!] in a charcoal fire that I supplement with a blow tube, I quench it in a pan of water. I then place the blade in a pan of used motor oil,heat it with a propane torch till it catches fire, let it burn then cool,clean the blade and I have a blade that holds a good edge for some time.
I use the stock removal method to make my knifes and this system works for me.
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline LRB

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 05:49:45 PM »
You have been very lucky. Your knives look impressive, but quenching in water very often results in a broken or cracked blade. Canola oil would be a much better choice for quenching. Tempering in burnig motor oil is an old trick to temper springs, but is about 200° hotter than a normal blade temper. What steels are you using?

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 05:26:51 AM »
It's stuff I found layin' around. My grandfather showed me how to tell what kind of steel it is using a grinder and watching the sparks. You are absolutly right,I am VERY lucky! The method is real ify with all the different alloys used today as compaired to turn of the century Poland. I am by no means an expert at anything, just lucky.

Is there really a noticeable difference in the type of oil used in quenching? I've used many different kinds and all seamed to me to work very well,and yes, I have cracked a few blades if I dunk them too fast, thats how I come up with patch knifes!
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline LRB

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 08:02:28 AM »
Thin oils, warmed to around 130° are superior to plain water. Canola, ATF, and mineral oil are some of the better oils aside from commercial quench oils. The problem with water is that when the hot steel enters, an instant air space is created around the steel, called a vapor jacket. For a few hundredths of a  second there is no contact with the water, then the water makes contact, but very uneven contact and cooling occurs. This causes uneven stresses in the steel leading to warp, and, or cracking. This will sound odd, but a brine solution of 7 to 10% salt cools faster than plain water, but the cooling is much more even because the salt instantly clings to the steel forming a barrier between the steel and direct contact with the vapor jacket gasses, and causes the jacket to disperse faster, which allows faster and more even contact with the water. This is still very risky however, and the type of steel often determines the outcome. Oils create a slower, and less violent cooling, with less of a vapor jacket, and a much better chance of success. Warmed oil cools faster than room temp oil because it is thinner, and the jacket will disperse faster. However, too much heat will slow the cooling. 130° is the best all around temp for the oil. Uneven cooling, and uneven heat in the steel, and too fast of a quench medium are  the major causes of failure in the quench. Of course steel needs to be cooled fast to harden properly, but fast is broken down to seconds. For instance, hi-carb simple steel such as 1095 needs to cool to below 900° in under one second to put it at it's best, whereas 01, an alloy steel, would break up at that speed of quench, and is best cooled below 900° in around 8 to 12 seconds. Both would come out at the same hardness because of the alloys in the 01.

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 10:24:18 AM »
Fascinating...
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline LRB

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 03:22:03 PM »
Is there really a noticeable difference in the type of oil used in quenching?
    I got carried away, and did not completely answer the question. Yes, there is a difference in the cooling rates of different oils, but I can only give a few in regards to non-commercial quench oils. Commercial oil is always the best way to go, but is too expensive for most weekend craftsmen. In the case of 1095, one of the most problamatic steels one can heat treat, even commercial oils cannot quench it to it's absolute best. If it does not drop from 1500° to under 900° in under a second, it is not at it's best. Brine is the best quench for it, but carrys a real risk of cracking the steel. A commercial oil such as Parks #50, is the next best choice, taking just a little over one second to cool the steel, but brings the risk factor way down, with a minimal sacrifice of maybe 1  point of hardness at the most. Canola, or mineral oil is easy to find and relatively cheap, and is the third choice with a sacrifice of maybe another 1 or 2 points of hardness. The weekend bladesmith should find  these oils satisfactory for his needs.  Certainly not the best, but near enough for the blade to hold a pretty good edge. If said bladesmith has an adventurous spirit, he can try the brine. If the blade survives, he can rest assured it is at it's max hardness, and will temper to a fine cutting blade that holds a great edge. If anyone reading this wants a great blade, at a minimal risk of  failure, 1075/1080/1084 steel will give it to you, with the heat treat being almost fool proof. A red-orange heat in dim light, then quenched in canola, mineral oil, or even ATF tempered at around 425/450° twice for two hours each, cooled to room temp in between, and you will have a fine blade.
     Alloyed steel is very complicated to heat treat right without an oven, or salt bath. Alloy steel needs to soak at quench temp for as much as 20 minutes in the case of 01, and at a steady temp. Air hardening alloy steel is very simple to heat treat if you have an oven or salts, and will harden itself when removed from the heat source, but requires more heat than most others.
      01 can be quenched pretty well in ATF oil. 01 needs an oil which will drop it's temp from 1475°/ 1500° to under 900° in 8 to 12 seconds, and not much faster or it may crack.  Parks AAA is the commercial oil answer for 01. The draw back to the weekend smith using 01 is the soak time of 20 minutes before quench. It takes this long for the alloys to dissolve and homogenize with the iron, and carbon, and requires a decarb protective coating to not lose carbon. Yes again. Different oils, different cooling rates. The steel needs to be matched to the right oil to get a good heat treat.
    The reason for wanting to reach max hardness in the quench is that by doing so, you have locked the internal condition of the steel solution in place. The homogenized mix of iron, carbon, and alloys if present. This will give the most strength to the tempered condition. If cooled to slow, the componants of this solution will start separating back to their previous condition, and the steel will not be as strong after temper, or hold as good of an edge. When using less than the best oils for the particular steel, you should still have a decent blade as long as you get within 2 or 3 Rockwell  points of max hardness, but if you get more drop than that, the blade may not satisfy your needs.

Offline rickevans

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 05:07:43 PM »
What a fine guest Mr. LRB is.
R. C. (Rick) Evans
TMA# 232 Expires 7/5/22
Life Member NRA

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 05:54:51 PM »
I relly love the way you answered my question,LRB. No crap, just info that is easy to understand. I suppose the task at hand now is to better my skills,and continue to learn. Thanks again for the great reply :shake
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline rickevans

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 07:40:59 PM »
One thing I would add is that yoiu need to heat the steel to it's "critical" temperature. That is, where it is non-magnetic. Then quench as LRB explained so well. That is a bit more sure metric that "a dull red heat".
R. C. (Rick) Evans
TMA# 232 Expires 7/5/22
Life Member NRA

Offline LRB

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 09:33:25 AM »
Acually, non-magnetic then quench only works for hypoeutectoid simple steels, and even then more heat will do a much better job. steels having .80/.85 carbon are called eutectoid steels. The eutectoid point in steel means that is the point at which  steel will not accept any more carbon into an homogenized solution when heated to quench temp. Hypo means less than that much carbon. Hypoeutectoid, and eutectoid simple steels go into full solution quickly, but to fully solutionize, need 50° to 75° higher heat than just non-magnetic. Non-magnetic is the Curie point, which is 1414°. A heat of not less than 1475° is recommended to get a fully dissolved solution of iron and carbon, in a reasonable amount of time. A magnet can be used to tell you when you reach the point at which you need to increase your heat one or two brighter shades of red, but is not an indicator of when to quench. Only a marker that tells you, you have reached 1414°. An example of another way to look at it this, is this. You have a blade of 1080 steel. 80 means .80 carbon. You quench at non-magnetic,  your carbon is not fully dissolved, you have reduced your 1080 steel to maybe 1060 steel in useful carbon. The undissolved carbon is in tiny groups scattered about in no particular order, and practically useless to the steel. By increasing the heat you will increase your carbon solution. If you can hold your heat at around 1475° to 1500° for a minute, or two, you will have a fully dissolved carbon/iron solution, and get the max performance from your steel when tempered. "Hyper" eutectoid simple steel is treated in the same manner, same heat range, but now you have extra carbon that will not go into solution. This extra carbon needs another minute or so at temp in order to disperse in an even manner, or it too will form into tiny groups causing tiny hard spots, and a weaker structure. This extra carbon, when evenly dispersed, is what gives the steel it's higher degree of abrasion resistance, when compared to a "hypo" or a eutectoid simple steel. The draw back to the "hyper" eutectoid simple steel is that most of it is low in manganese, which helps to slow the steels natural transition back to pre-solution condition, when the heat is removed. This is why 1095 requires a very fast quench medium in order to lock that solution in place, before any transition has time to begin. A final couple of notes. We, or most of us, use the file test to see if we got our blade hard. Unfortunately, the file can only tell us that the steel is harder than 58 on the Rockwell scale. A common file stops cutting after 58/59 RC, when we need full hardness at about 64, to 65 RC. Short of buying a Rockwell tester, which is quite expensive, or special testing files, cheaper, but still more than many would care to pay, we just need to do our best to do the best quench that we can, for a given steel. One last note on HT. Normalizing the steel before quench is very important to the final out come. This is a process of stress relieving, and preparing the steel structure to go into solution easier, and better, and will reduce the grain size, thus giving the finished blade more strength. ESPECIALLY after forging. Forging, and even just grinding puts stresses in the steel which will cause warp in the quench, and in the case of forging, the grain structure is in total chaos. After forging, the blade should be annealed, then also thermo-cycled. There are different variations of this for different steels, but for hypoeutectoid steels the common method is to bring the steel to non-magnetic heat, then let air cool to room temp three times. Hypereutectoid steels are brought up to around 1550° quickly, then cooled to room temp. Then three heats under non-magnetic, between 1000° and 1300°, and air cooled to room temp in between. The first high heat disperses the carbon, the three low heats cause the carbon to form tiny spheres which will go into solution faster, and better, and all these heats combined are de-stressing the steel, while also reducing grain size to as small as it will go. No! Forging does not reduce grain size, or improve steel in any way. Only heat can change the internal struture, for the good anyway. Forging is acually the worst thing that can be done to the steel structure, other than burning it, UNTIL it is brought back to it's original structure by heat. Anything done to the steel by the hammer, is nullified by heat, so you that just want to grind a blade, and not forge it, can make a knife that is every bit as good as one that was forged, as long as you get your heat treat well done.

Offline rickevans

(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 10:44:26 AM »
Great information.  You sir are a fine example of meaningful communicating.  Thanks!
R. C. (Rick) Evans
TMA# 232 Expires 7/5/22
Life Member NRA