The Center of Camp > Camping Gear and Campfire Cooking

What's your favorite camp cookware?

(1/5) > >>

45.70:
Hello all,

I know this is going to be a personal opinion and it will depend on event, i.e. hiking or at a rendezvous.  But, out of curiosity, what is your favorite cookware, while out in the woods?  I like cooking with cast iron on a fire, but I don't like toting it too far. So I reserve the cast iron for camping with transportation close at hand.  I'm still working on a tinware set for hiking and have discovered a couple things.  It seems I started out with a boiler and skillet that's too small.  They pack well, but a little bigger would be nice.  Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to buy some more tin ware, but what is your favorite size or type for hiking.

Thanks, Garry

Bigsmoke:
Long time ago, I started out with blue speckle ware (plates, coffee pot, quart pot) and cast iron (fry pan, Dutch oven, etc.).
Over time, I got rid of the speckle ware and only take Dutch oven to drive in events.
What I rely on now are smaller steel fry pans, a copper coffee pot and a copper corn cooker.  I do have a big brass hearth oven but seldom take it, as it is a bit bulky.  Of course, I also have a pretty nice set of fire irons that has been with me for many a year.  Most all of the cooking utensils are blacksmith made - spatula, fork, pokers, etc.  Also have picked up over the years some steel round plates and antique bone/horn/wood handled knives, forks and spoons.  Horn salt and pepper shakers, etc.

amm1851:
I have a tin pot and a cup that fits inside of it. Between those and a sharp stick, I can get most of my camp cooking done. As anybody who knows me will attest, I am a terrible cook, but I do make a mean cup of coffee.
My AMM sponsor bought me a folding frying pan when we were at AMM nationals in Colorado in 2001 (I think), but I have never actually used it (see above confession -  not much of a cook).

Bigsmoke:

--- Quote from: "amm1851" ---I have a tin pot and a cup that fits inside of it. Between those and a sharp stick, I can get most of my camp cooking done. As anybody who knows me will attest, I am a terrible cook, but I do make a mean cup of coffee.
My AMM sponsor bought me a folding frying pan when we were at AMM nationals in Colorado in 2001 (I think), but I have never actually used it (see above confession -  not much of a cook).
--- End quote ---

Sounds like your favorite piece of cookware should probably just be a big tin cup.  And a woebegone expression on your face.

To go from camp to camp explaining what a miserable cook you are.

You'll eat just fine.   :rotf

amm1851:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version