The Center of Camp > Camping Gear and Campfire Cooking

Beaverman's Hunters Stew

(1/4) > >>

BEAVERMAN:
Ok first off this stew has always been made in a 16" deep dutch oven, so  you may have to down size it accordingly to fit the vessel your using.

Ingredients;
1lb. Bacon ( the good smokey kind)
4 to 5 lbs of Venison, Elk, Buffalo,  Moose whatever you can get your hands on a combination is best (usually Deer & Elk here in PNW)
cut up to bite size
3 large onions chopped
1 whole head of garlic chopped
or 1 big heaping tablespoon of pre chopped garlic from the jar, I'm lazy!
1 large bunch of celery, just trim the dried top off , lay it on it side and cut across about 1/4" wide including the leaves
3 lbs of carrots cut 1/4" wide into coins
2 to 3 lbs of taters cut into bite size with skins attached, I usually use reds or golds whatever is cheaper when bought
2 quarts of V8 veggie juice
2 bottles of a good hoppy beer ( or whatever you got in camp)
4 bay leaves
2 tsps of black pepper
3 cups flour
2 cups burgundy wine

Now I usually prep all ingredients first, except the taters cut meat into a decent bite size, chop the onions coarse, peel and slice carrots, slice celery etc., have my flour for coating the cut meat in a gallon zip lock bag

Cooking;
fry the bacon crisp!, remove from DO and set aside
add meat to the zip lock  in batches with the flour and shake, then drop into hot bacon grease and brown, you will probably have to add cooking oil as this proceeds as bacon grease is absorbed during cooking,
once all the meat is browned add all back to the DO
pour in the V8 and Beer
crumble the crisp bacon and add
add the onion celery and carrots& garlic
add the bay leaves and pepper
now bring to a boil then reduce heat & cook it low and slow holding a low simmer for at least 4 hours, stirring every 15 mins or so, don't want to burn the bottom!if there is not enough liquid to cover the ingredients add more beer or V8
1hour before serving add the cut bite size taters and burgundy until do is full to 1" of the top. cook until taters are done
right before serving make up a slurry of corn starch or flour and slowly stir into stew to thicken a bit, (you don't want soup!)

Serve with biscuits, in my 16" deep this yields 27 to 30 average size bowls of stew ( usually the boys will lick the DO clean if I let them!)

ENJOY!

Bigsmoke:
Jim, dammit, you forgot the whiskey !!!!!   :Doh! :Doh!

Not to put into the stew, but to drink while you are cooking it.   :toast   :*:   :luff:

BEAVERMAN:

--- Quote from: Bigsmoke on July 22, 2020, 04:53:35 PM ---Jim, dammit, you forgot the whiskey !!!!!   :Doh! :Doh!

Not to put into the stew, but to drink while you are cooking it.   :toast   :*:   :luff:

--- End quote ---

NOT ME!!!!!!!!!!! I like that cactus juice!

Bigsmoke:
Yes, well, that too !!!  :bigsmile:

rollingb:
That stew sounds lip-smackin GOOD!  :*:  :applaud

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version