The Center of Camp > Camping Gear and Campfire Cooking

USING "Dryer Lint" as a "Starter" { Flint & Steel }

<< < (2/4) > >>

Spotted Bull:
Butane lighters are a form of flint and steel!!

SharpStick:
Why bother picking lint from the dryer? Just collect the cotton they pack in all those pill bottles I know all of us old geezers get on a regular basis.
Add a little vaseline and they work wonderfully. I suppose to be historically correct vaseline is out. But I'd bet there were plenty of similar substances that were available.

Here in AZ pitch from the prevalent pitch pine trees was used.  Take a piece of wood from a pitchy knot, soak in it in water for a week or two and it will still light at the smallest touch of flame.  For years I've kept a few pieces of pitch pine in my emergency kit along with my flint & steel, fire piston, bow drill rock and string, and, of course, my bag of cotton lint.

Speaking of butane lighters, I wonder what kind of fancy flint & steel gadgets were in use back in the day.  Surely, someone decided it was easier to use something like a flintlock to start their fires.

BEAVERMAN:
Here ya go! Sharpstick!
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Puffer:
 :bl th up :applaud
--- Quote from: BEAVERMAN on August 12, 2020, 01:00:01 PM ---Here ya go! Sharpstick!
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

--- End quote ---

Puffer:
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/english-tiny-flint-lock-fire-starter-1919261375

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version