Traditional Firearms > Flintlock Long Guns

Lab Report on Burst India Brown Bess

(1/3) > >>

Captchee:
Im posting this over here from FF forum . basicly becouse the issue of this rifle was so wide spread , everyone needs to know the results

--- Quote ---Author Message
pichou

Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Lab Report on Burst India Brown Bess  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/ ... locked.pdf

As suspected...

--- End quote ---

Captchee:
let it load steve , its a word,  formate, just give it time for your dial up

pathfinder:
I would like to know how thick the build-up of residue was in that barrel. Seems that if it was that thick, it would take awhile for the powder to get to the breach, kind of like an hour glass. Then, wouldn't it be like a model rocket engine? Just thought's from a totally un-scientific Polish fella.

Sir Michael:
May the good Lord save us from from reenactors.  Clean the musket?  what is that!  :?   You mean it is not self cleaning? :rt th

The really sad part is that they have used this incident to bad mouth and denigrate guns made in India.   :roll eyes

Ohio Joe:

--- Quote from: "Sir Michael" ---May the good Lord save us from from reenactors.  Clean the musket?  what is that!  :?   You mean it is not self cleaning? :rt th

The really sad part is that they have used this incident to bad mouth and denigrate guns made in India.   :roll eyes
--- End quote ---

Have to agree Sir Mike!

I think it's rather obvious that if a bore is not cleaned, all the burnt powder residue will build up, eventually creating a blockage in the bore.  As was said above the powder would have to funnel down to the vent hole and I would sure think that all your going to eventually get is an air pocket below the blackage along with the powder setting ahead of the blockage, and who knows how many "hour glass blockages" are in that .75 caliber bore?  I think it would be like trying to contiunually shoot short started loads without the ball against the powder.

It's probably a good thing these reenactors aren't allowed to use ramrods seeings how they don't know how to put a cleaning jag on one.

However in all fairness I don't believe all reenactors are idiotic like the feller with his burst Bess barrel.  I would surely think that some know how to clean and maintain a blackpowder firearm.  At least I hope they do...

Maybe these reenactor groups need to do their battles against plywood soilders where they can learn how to use a ramrod and shoot real "balls".....  Much like the NSSA does at it's annual slugfest in the Shenandoah Valley...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version