Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: CVA barrel size??  (Read 415 times)

Offline IronDawg

• TMA Forum Member
CVA barrel size??
« on: January 04, 2010, 07:21:20 PM »
yea I know I know we're cloggin the board with CVA question! :P

CVA mountain 50 caliber percussion. I'm trying to get a barrel dimension for a new full stock

But it's hard for me to see because of the chamfers on the end of the barrel. is it 7/8ths? or 15/16ths?

If I hook my tape it looks 7/8ths but if I "aligned" an inch mark it look 15/16ths. because of the beveled chamfers.

Anybody know fer sher?
It's not what you've done. It's how you did it.
TMA member #516 ex. 11/16/10

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 10:15:37 PM »
could be either lance .
 i have seen both .
 take a set of calipers and measure at the flat where it  meets the stock . then set that to your tape . better yet  use a micrometer

Offline Wyoming Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 08:14:19 AM »
If it's a Mountain Rifle .45 or .50 it is 15/16".
Love the smell of black powder in the morning
Smells like fun.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 10:48:22 AM »
here is the problem mike ., im not sure if this is do to  something being a kit , or if   completed production gun .
 But I have seen CVA  mountain rifle barrels as small as 7/8 .
 Now was this do to the barrels finishing  or  was that the barrel size . Or  could the case be that a barrel was replaced  and that replacement barrel was slightly under dimension ??? Who can say . We are basically talking about 1/16th . that’s 1/32 difference in either side .
 I found long ago , when it came to CVA  you just don’t know .
 Just last weekend I worked on a fellas  CVA Kentucky . I  have known the fella for a very long time . But actually had not seen the rifle for some years . He was having a problem with the lock holding at full cock .
 So  we left the line and I   broke the lock down and touched up the sear and tumbler . We went back to the line . The last shot is an oxygen cylinder at 235 yards . When he shot  the target rang very  nice .
 I made a comment that  I have never heard a 45 cal  ring that target so well  and ask what his load was .
 His reply was that the rifle was a 50  not a 45 .
 So I came home and  looked through my old catalogs . I show no listing for 50 cal option in the CVA Kentucky . So I called him up to double check . The barrel is marked Connecticut Valley Arms Kentucky , 50 cal . He said his wife had bought it for him in 1974 new .
So now next month  im going to take my micrometer and  Mic the barrel .and add that data to my CVA info .

I don’t think we can assume anything here . . The barrel has to be measured to know   it could very well be the case that Lances barrel is 15/16  but IMO it could just as easy be 7/8

Offline IronDawg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 01:10:48 PM »
I think I'm just gonna haorse trade him for it anyway.

I was talkin and horsetrading with Billy and noticed a  full stock blank laid up in the corner with no barrel taped down in it (unusual for Billy's shop, they usually already have a barrel laid in them) I asked him about it. it's a decent piece of maple. but it's pretty much a straight blank. just the ramrod and barrel channel is all thats cut. it's cut for a 7/8ths barrel.

But still even if it is a 15/16ths I should be able to soot the barrel up and scrape the channel, lay the barrel, scrape the channel, lay the barrel, until she falls in place
It's not what you've done. It's how you did it.
TMA member #516 ex. 11/16/10

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 01:15:27 PM »
yep
and  you would get a good fit to