Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Patches  (Read 416 times)

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
Patches
« on: March 05, 2011, 02:27:13 AM »
I know I should know better by now but...hehe-normally I've bypassed all this stuff and just bought balls and. ticking or the patches[.018]but I decided to use my .50 barrel on my renegade for awhile I bought it as an xtra never shot it much but I figured to get really technical and measured every thing.The groove size is .510, m home cast balls are .492,so .510 minus .492=.018 that got me thinkin because I've still got to devide that by 2 and that leaves .010 I've got material that size because someone here does sewing and quilting and has way more material than she can kep track of :shock: -but anyway .010 seems way thin ,so am I forgetting something in the equation because ,I always used .018 for everything before[.54] and it's almost always sold that size in patches.
I go forth armed and girded as a free man.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
Re: Patches
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 07:06:59 AM »
Quote from: "shootrj2003"
I know I should know better by now but...hehe-normally I've bypassed all this stuff and just bought balls and. ticking or the patches[.018]but I decided to use my .50 barrel on my renegade for awhile I bought it as an xtra never shot it much but I figured to get really technical and measured every thing.The groove size is .510, m home cast balls are .492,so .510 minus .492=.018 that got me thinkin because I've still got to devide that by 2 and that leaves .010 I've got material that size because someone here does sewing and quilting and has way more material than she can kep track of :shock: -but anyway .010 seems way thin ,so am I forgetting something in the equation because ,I always used .018 for everything before[.54] and it's almost always sold that size in patches.

Member #609.....Looks good on ya, glad you decided to finally wear it. :rt th

Don't think of it like that....think of it as a  .010 patch will have a thickness of twice that amount once it is wrapped around a ball....010 on each side x two sides = .020.....A round ball will two sides no matter which way you hold it.

By looking at it like this, it is fairly easy to see a .010 patch will be really tight once it is "squeezed" into the groves....you'll never get a patched ball down that bore if you use .018 patches.
.018 x 2 =.036  

.010 x 2 = .020

.492 + .020 = .512 however, since patches do compress, and you actually only have to get .002 compression when you seat the ball, it will be a nice, tight, fit and is likely the exact size you are looking for.
If you do end up with  "blown" patches, ie burned holes, torn, ragged, recovered patches, use a wad over the powder before seating the patched ball.

That size of .492 on your ball makes me think you are casting from wheel weights, or an alloy with a BHN hardness of around 10 or 12,  which will always give you a "thousandth" or so more in diameter than pure lead.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 11:49:35 AM »
i'm just compareing them to the patches i used for my .54 which were .018 T/C patches. that and the way they felt in my hand,just wanted to be sure my ''figgerin'' was right,thanks Uncle Russ and appreciate the welcome!
I go forth armed and girded as a free man.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609