Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: tissue paper for wads.  (Read 407 times)

Offline tuscarora

• TMA Forum Member
tissue paper for wads.
« on: January 03, 2013, 06:22:33 PM »
kids got me a 1858 pietta for christmas..I am very pleased thus far with this revolver. Accuracy has been exceptional. I was easily shooting 3" groups at 25 and 30 yds right out of the box. I was however shooting left. Being right handed, I suspected it was due to my trigger pull and grip more than anything. With a bit of practice and placing my pinky finger under the grip and using only the tip of my trigger finger to pull the trigger my groups  tightened up a bit and were only around an inch left.  I have been using 30Gr of fffg goex behind a .454 RB.  a over the powder felt patch and a greased patch over the ball. Today  after shooting around a dozen rounds, all of which made a neat little cluster just left of the bull. I decided to try a small bit of tissue paper between the powder and ball rather than the felt patch.  For reasons beyond me, It shot dead center..I literally shot out a 1" orange sticker at 25 yds. Thinking maybe it was me, i cleaned it up a bit. loaded it with felt wads and it again shot just a touch left..........I'm slightly baffled why it shoots better using tissue paper.

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
Re: tissue paper for wads.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 11:07:45 PM »
Whatever, the tissue paper is def. cheaper. Possible it is sealing the charge better than a porous felt wad, and also compresses down to a firmer wad  when it is pushed by the rammer. Who knows, but I will surely try it out on mine!
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline tuscarora

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 07:50:27 AM »
...i just simply pulled off a small piece of tissue crumpled it into a very loose little ball and tucked it in...seems to work just fine. Iv'e heard others saying the over the powder wad is not necessary if you have a tight seal with your ball. Although i think in the pietta an over the powder wad helps to compress the powder better. I can only speculate but i'm assuming that is what is going on with the paper. Which might be conforming and compressing better.

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 11:30:04 AM »
The claim for the over powder wad or use of grease over the ball, is to prevent a chain fire. The grease is good because it lubes the bore a bit. As for the chain fire, I have thankfully never experienced it. I believe such an accident would occur, not from the front of the cylinder(its a tight lead seal) but rather from a cap adjacent to the fired cylinder falling off and lighting that cylnder along with the one the hammer hits.  I can't stress enough the use of a proper fitting ball, I once had a .36 cal misfire and the pressure from the cap pushed the loose(my bad) ball into the forcing cone. I don't know why I didn't cock and fire another round, but my guardian angel was looking out for dummys that day and I took the pistol apart and found the ball in the barrel. Make sure your caps are tight and your head is screwed on right as with all firearms.
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 05:43:30 AM »
As long as ya got it to shoot at point os ame ya did good. That is some darn good shootn by the way. :rt th
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 11:28:05 AM »
Quote from: "Roaddog"
That is some darn good shootn by the way. :rt th  :applaud
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline tuscarora

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 02:54:42 PM »
greyhunter.......i'm sure glad your guardian angel was looking out for you as well....that could have been ugly. !!

I was able to do a bit more experimenting yesterday and yep it shoots dead on. about a 2" group on average at 25 yds..30 gr fffg goex... a bit of tissue paper over the powder a .454 ball which gives me a nice uniform ring shaved off...and top it all off with either lubed wonder wads or crisco to seal it all up.