Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: flint  (Read 631 times)

Offline greggholmes

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 675
flint
« on: March 26, 2014, 08:05:06 PM »
Captain Bennet Cuthbertson's 1776 manual for the management of a battalion of infantry wrote

"Flints should always be screwed in firm, between a thin piece of lead, it having a more certain hold, then leather, or any other contrivance. Besides a good one in his piece, a soldier ought to have another in his pouch".

And..... go
Member #675
Skagit Muzzle loaders
Expires June16, 2017

Any arm save our mothers', that arm is Brown Bess!

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
Re: flint
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 04:28:19 PM »
I've thought of using lead but at least one lock maker states that the use of lead to cushion flints voids his warranty.  Go figure.
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 10:24:31 PM »
Lead does add mass to the cock/hammer and at least one rifle I tried it with seemed to have a short flint life.  I was lucky to get 30 shots from a flint held with lead while a flint with leather gave me at least twice as many.  I'll also note that the British redesigned the cock on the Brown Bess to make it stronger.  One might assume that they were suffering breakages.  Was the lead a factor?

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline greggholmes

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 10:59:06 PM »
There is no way I could do the math to figure the mass pop a thin lead to leather.
Member #675
Skagit Muzzle loaders
Expires June16, 2017

Offline Stormrider51

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 11:39:13 PM »
Me either!  This is one of those situations where the best I can do is give anecdotal "evidence".  My understanding is that folks would take a ball, pound it out flat, and use it to hold the flint.  I guess that means we could take the ball weight and compare it to a piece of leather the correct size to get the difference.  I don't know that we would have established anything beyond lead = heavy and leather = light.  I do know that I had a guy bring in a rifle with a Chambers flintlock complaining of failures to ignite the pan powder.  On examining the frizzen I saw that there were gouges about 1/3 of the way down the face and few marks below that level.  The flint was being held by lead.  I polished the frizzen and exchanged the lead for leather.  The gun was then a very good sparker and reliably ignited the pan powder.  My theory is that the extra weight in the cock resulted in the frizzen being knocked away in a manner that prevented the flint from scraping down its face.  It's possible I could have solved the problem by installing a stiffer frizzen spring.  What I did was simpler.  I've also seen locks where the cock failed to push the frizzen completely out of the way with the result being a partially opened pan with the flint still resting on the lower frizzen.  My solution was to polish everything and then, if necessary, reduce the frizzen spring tension.  It's possible that a simpler solution might have been going to lead to retain the flint.  Ve get so soon old and so late schmart!

John
Member #632

Offline greggholmes

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 12:25:34 AM »
I did the 'pound flat a ball' but it was to big an had to cut it down with sicssors. I didn't measure it but it was maybe, .010". I don't have a scale to weigh one flattened and trimmed.
Member #675
Skagit Muzzle loaders
Expires June16, 2017

Offline Stormrider51

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 01:05:42 AM »
Greg,  I'm assuming you have a East India Pattern Brown Bess based on your signature photo.  Middlesex Village?  Have you tried using lead vs leather?  What were the results?  As a side note, I have a MVTC East India on order since 03/12.  Can't wait to start working up loads and seeing results.

John
Member #632

Offline greggholmes

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 01:34:33 AM »
I use leather right now, haven't tried lead yet.

Check the touch hole to breach plug area, that's the only issue I had. Breach plug sits a little deep.
Member #675
Skagit Muzzle loaders
Expires June16, 2017

Offline Stormrider51

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 02:03:52 AM »
I used to (try to) make a living as a gunsmith.  I still have a close friend who owns a milling machine.  If necessary I can either angle drill the vent or pull the breech plug and face it off until it clears.  The second solution would be my first choice.

John
Member #632