Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: 2f vs 3f  (Read 429 times)

Offline Salty

• TMA Contributing Member
2f vs 3f
« on: March 08, 2024, 05:34:07 PM »
Howdy ML shooters, for the same weight of 2f and 3f powder with PLRBs, which burns faster, has more muzzle velocity and flatter trajectory?
“We’re supposed to be surrounded…we’re paratroopers” Captain Richard Winters, Bastogne 1944

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: 2f vs 3f
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2024, 06:23:58 PM »
Salty,

3fg burns faster because of the smaller grains. As far as trajectory, much depends on the powder charge used,,, and as usual other things come into play - such elevation and humidity of where you are shooting.  :shake 
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2024, 06:49:17 PM »
Hi Salty,
Good question.  As Joe said, for a given powder charge, Fffg gives you more bang for the buck, due to the smaller grain size.
With all that said, I recall back in the days when I started shooting these things.  I got started on Fffg as that was what was available at the time.  Then one of the top shooters in the club told me that for a .54, I really should be shooting Ffg, as it was a slower burning powder and it would give me better accuracy and it would not stress the gun so much.  I took his advice and over the years, I did become a pretty accurate shooter.
However, some pretty good shooters that I have known have shot exclusively Fffg powder and did well.  I don't know, it is probably a case of YMMV and is a Ford better than a Chevy and what do you think works best for you?
In later years, what I found worked best for me was GOEX cartridge grade powder.  It seems to burn a bit cleaner than Ffg.
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 09:36:48 PM »
What has been said.  Under .50 caliber, the standard thinking is to use FFFg, while .50 and over use FFg.

Having said that, my first muzzleloader was a Colt 1851 replica I bought in 1968, and the guy I got it from included a tin of caps and a can of FFg DuPont.  I didn't learn until later that that was not the proper powder, but hey, it made a mighty flash, a cloud of smoke and the ball actually flew out to hit a target.  I was hooked!  And it's been downhill ever since....

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 10:30:25 AM »
Years ago I did some testing with Goex 2fg in my; .40 caliber percussion rifle & .45 flintlock rifles (which I also primed with 2fg), and I was surprised how well it worked.

The above testing lead me to trying some old Meter 1fg black powder (I had picked up years ago at our ML State Shoot) - along with 4fg Prime - and surprisingly, it also worked very well... (I was shooting lite charges) since I figured the fouling would be awful, and the lite charges worked very well in the .40 & .45 calibers, and really didn't require anymore swabbing (after every third shot). I was pleasantry surprised! Now with the above said, I do live in a low "humidity" area, so fouling is not as serious as if I lived in a "humid" area.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska