TMA Events and Activites > TMA Postal Shoots

NOTICE: TMA POSTAL MATCH SIGHT RULE CHANGE

<< < (3/3)

Mad Irish Jack:
Whoa thar, winter hawk, Them thar youngins is a wantin t' use them thar type o' sites so as t' keep up with us older, profitiant, mentally deciferin the windage and elevations afor we pray, close our foggy eyes and pull that thar trigger, older than fossils, crowd. Whooo!. :yessir: :hairy :Doh! :Doh! :toast :o :bl th up :pray:  't's okeydokey by me!

Ohio Joe:
Kees, I don't think you have to much to worry about.

From my experience at shootin' matches (and I only shoot fixed open iron sights "well the front blade is brass") I've never seen it make a difference unless a person could not see their sights before going "peep sight"... Even then it was no miracle cure as they may up their score a bit - they still didn't realize a steady hold and follow through is far more important (or just as important), and many have trouble putting the two together offhand.

Now IMHO where Peeps actually make a difference,,, X-Sticks at 50 and 100 yards, -and or- anytime from a fixed rest.

Yes, many a folks swear by peep sights and how their scores came up - but it still didn't make them an expert shooter like they thought it would. They were just plum happy to finally see their front sight again.

:shake

Winter Hawk:

--- Quote from: Ohio Joe on June 26, 2019, 03:12:37 PM ---They were just plum happy to finally see their front sight again.
--- End quote ---

:laffing :lol sign  :laffing

prairie dog:
All my rifles and my pistol have open sights.  My smoothbore has no rear sight. 

I had, at one time, peep sights and front globe sights on my Lyman Great Plains rifle.  It was much more accurate for match shooting and the ghost ring was a real help for low light hunting.  I sold those sights after my cataract surgery simply because I no longer need them.  I can actually see the rear sight, the front sight and the target again! 

Having said all that; I do shoot more accurately with peep sights.  Not having a rear sight on my smoothbore helps with shooting birds and clay targets.  However I am seeing two distinctive groupings on my roundball smooth bore targets.  One just left of center and one just right of center.  I know a rear sight would cure that, but I'm going to continue to attempt to correct that by learning to mount the gun consistently.

I don't begrudge anyone using peep sights, older eyes need them.  Peeps are more accurate, but you still have to make the shot.  The targets we use, combined with shooting off hand, I simply don't see a great advantage in using them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version