Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Caps?  (Read 1430 times)

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: Caps?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 10:56:49 PM »
You know, Ron, that's what makes this country so good.  We are all entitled to our opinion, whatever it is.  And they are all valid.  Whatever works for you is what you should use.  Whatever works for me is what I should use.
Years ago (30+), Mrs. Smoke bought me a beautiful Tennessee rifle, .45 cal. flinter.  Prettiest piece of maple I have ever seen.  I really don't care to shoot it cause of its ignition, but one would have to beat me excessively with a big stick to ever get it from me.
Happy Days
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Ron T.

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 02:10:21 AM »
Yes, John... that's true as long as we always remember to "respect" the other man's opinion whether or not we agree with it... n'est pas, mon ami?   :laffing

My "boys" (they're both over 50 years old, so they're not really "boys" anymore) shoot those saboted 295 grain, .50 caliber jacketed, hollow-point bullets at deer using 3 of those powder "disks" (50 grains EACH) and while both of the boys are strong, stout young fellas, that unnecessarily heavy load REALLY sits 'em straight-up when shooting their in-line rifles off of the bench-rest while checking the zero of their scope-equipped in-line rifles.

My "puny" 70 grains of Swiss FFFg, my deer-hunting load outta my older, cap-lock CVA Hawken-Hunter Carbine (24-inch barrel, 6½ lbs.), puts a .490-inch Hornady swagged, patched rifle ball through BOTH sides of a deer at 80 yards or less (usually "less"... "80 yards" is my self-imposed maximum hunting range with my M.L.) and a "hit" in the deer's "kill zone" normally goes through both sides and generally offers a easy "blood trail" to follow if the deer goes very far (which it usually doesn't) in dense cover.

I chronographed the boy's hunting loads while at my club's shooting range a few years ago... and ya don't "need" an almost 300 grain saboted, jacketed hollow-pointed bullet at 2,015 fps to bring down even the biggest deer that ever roamed a deer-woods.  There just isn't any big grizzly bears or elephants in Ohio's deer woods the last time I checked.  Their loads are massive examples of "over-kill" and painful recoil.

Butttttttttttttttttttttt... I say "nuthin' " even though I have to sometimes bite-my-tongue until it bleeds to keep my big mouth "shut"!

There ARE times when "respect" for someone's opinion is tough to come by... but we keep trying, eh?   :lt th

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
It's SMART to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa "stuff"...

Online Two Steps

• TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 09:25:37 AM »
but one would have to beat me excessively with a big stick to ever get it from me.
Hmm...45 flinter...beautiful wood...lotta trees around here.  Just how big a stick are we talking here John?!  :lol:
Al
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 10:29:48 AM »
Al, it would be bigger than you could lift, my friend.  
Refer to the section about prying cold, dead fingers and all that.
Serious now, that is one rifle that I will not ever trade off.  It is a keeper to me.  IMHO, one of the very best to come out of the TVM's shop.
J
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online Two Steps

• TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 11:13:56 AM »
Well...Ok...I guess :rt th )
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 04:44:23 PM »
Quote from: "bigsmoke"
You know, Ron, that's what makes this country so good.  We are all entitled to our opinion, whatever it is.  And they are all valid.  Whatever works for you is what you should use.  Whatever works for me is what I should use.
Years ago (30+), Mrs. Smoke bought me a beautiful Tennessee rifle, .45 cal. flinter.  Prettiest piece of maple I have ever seen.  I really don't care to shoot it cause of its ignition, but one would have to beat me excessively with a big stick to ever get it from me.
Happy Days
John

I got a big stick - I walk softly too....
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2014, 02:00:43 PM »
Quote from: "Riley/MN"

I got a big stick - I walk softly too....

And I got a great big pot of home-made spaghetti with lots of pressed garlic, mushrooms, Roma 'maters, Italian Peppers, and a lovely loaf of lightly toasted French Bread, with Parmesan, real butter, and light garlic.  

Bring the gun on your next trip...........  :shock:

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2014, 03:55:43 PM »
I started off using RWS and Remington caps back around 1966 and found them to be excellent.  I've used a lot of CCI caps, too, but only have CCI magnum caps at this time.  The reason is that the last time I ordered caps I bought a 1000 cap brick.  Basically, I will use about any cap that comes along.

Opinions!?  If anyone needs to have an opinion on any subject I'll give it to them! :hairy  :hey-hey
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Ron T.

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2014, 06:14:21 PM »
Quote from: "Two Steps"
Muley, when I shoot my cap guns I use CCIs.  Pretty much always have as they were what I got first.  Never tried any of the mags.  Never had a problem with the CCI #11s.
There is a thread going on right now about different brand caps.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19383
Al

I did exactly as "Two-Steps" did... regular CCIs were the first percussion caps I bought (a box of 1,000) and they've always worked just fine for me.  I've thought about going to CCI Magnum "caps", but why change when the regular CCI "caps" have never failed to fire?  Then, too... merely exchanging regular CCI "caps" for their Magnum caps might change the accuracy of the loads I've worked up for my two Hawken Rifles.

I've always adhere'd to that old saying... "If-n it ain't broke, DON'T fix it!"     :lol sign  

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
It's SMART to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa "stuff"...

Offline forest

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2014, 09:31:11 PM »
Sorry but i just dont trust them new fangeled things. I perfer rock locks
YBIC.  Forrest
    TMA # 640
    valid till 9/5/14

Offline smokepolepaul

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 777
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2014, 12:04:46 PM »
I've been using Remington #11's for over a year.  Haven't had any problems.   :wave
"There ain't nothing like boom and smoke!"  :-)

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2014, 08:15:04 PM »
Quote from: "Ron T."
Yes, John... that's true as long as we always remember to "respect" the other man's opinion whether or not we agree with it... n'est pas, mon ami?   :shake [/color]
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline petew

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.peteward.com
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2014, 12:14:18 PM »
You folks are lucky to have choices. I use what ever is on the store shelf, and I am happy if there is anything there.
Share your knowledge .

Offline Dakotas Dad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2014, 08:55:24 AM »
I have not noticed any difference in mine, by cap brand. I have shot several hundred each of CCI and Remington's, just got some RWS caps, will start shooting with them soon. We did see a small shortage last year of some brands, in some stores.