Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Family flintlock fantasy  (Read 1218 times)

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
Family flintlock fantasy
« on: April 02, 2014, 08:01:24 PM »
I sort of think maybe Mario, Captchee, and others with the knowledge may be able to lend some light to this.

As my geezerhood advances, I've spent some effort seeking out my pedigree. No horse thieves just yet, but one accused witch at Salem who managed to avoid the infamous ending that many suffered.

The first of my family in the new world left Billericay, England about 1640 for Massachusetts. Two brothers apparently traveled together. The Pilgrim Fathers (and a mother or two?) are said to have held a meeting in that town before departure, and others from that vicinity came later. Since he was born in 1619, he would have been a bit young for that first voyage. The two of them settled in the Middlesex, MA area, one of them in Billerica, named after Billericay.

The family were farmers in that area for a couple of centuries until one of them moved to NY state, west of Syracuse, where he got involved with a fellow named Joseph Smith and eventually made his way west to some place called Utah. Lots of details, but none relevant to my question.

If my family were in the area of Middlesex, MA in, say 1740-1790, there were a few political dustups that might have encouraged arming the farm. I needn't enumerate them for you readers. I can also imagine that doing some hunting could have been seen as worthwhile to augment a farm family's dietary needs.

So what might they have owned to meet these imagined needs? You have a time period, a location, a vocation. If they were militia arms, what might they have been? If the intention was hunting, what could they have owned? I'm not interested in additional fantasy of travel to PA, VA, SC where they might have purchased something. Given my family's penchant for staying put--with but about 3 exceptions in 4 centuries--that doesn't fit the scenario.

Care to shed some light? :idea:
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline Detached

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Family flintlock fantasy
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 09:01:16 PM »
No need to wait for one of those experts, I can help.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 09:26:17 PM »
Ah, yes. The ol' elementary school misinformational mythology. If this guy can't get a turkey right, why should I build a gun like that?
 :Doh!
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline Detached

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 07:16:46 AM »
Quote from: "Kermit"
Ah, yes. The ol' elementary school misinformational mythology. If this guy can't get a turkey right, why should I build a gun like that?
 :Doh!

Hey, at least it has a snood!

Besides, I like the recoil pad on the gun....
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 07:45:47 AM »
Now thats Funny Detached  , a smooth bore with a 100 yard front  pin , in cap lock . :lol sign

Good question  Kermit  real hard to say  , 1740-1790 is a rather large span of time considering all the changes that were happening  during those 50 year .
 But  I would make a guess at something with Dutch influence. But then again  depending on the wealth of your family  it wouldn’t have been a stretch IMO for them to be carrying a Lancaster style of rifle  or I higher end  fowling piece .
 Then there is the possibility they owned no gun at all  .Later in that time . Maybe a rifle  but by then there were literally thousands of gun makers and you have the whole board of ordinance possibility   .  Which frankly wasn’t that uncommon prior  to the  revolution.
  So maybe something like these exsamples from the NRA

This American long arm, which predates the War for Independence, illustrates the Colonists’ early reliance upon reused mixed parts. Jacob Man of Wrentham, Mass., would later carry it as a Minuteman at Lexington/Concord and while a soldier in the 13th Massachusetts Continental Regiment through the New York-Trenton-Princeton campaigns (1775-1777), as well as at the Battle of Rhode Island (1778). The American stock mounts a bulbous Dutch lock, a convex French S-shaped iron sideplate, a cut-down British brass buttplate, an English trade pattern escutcheon and a crude locally cast brass trigger guard secured by four nails. A French pinned fowler barrel is stocked to the muzzle, indicating the early lack of socket bayonets. Its iron ramrod is held by three thimbles, of which the bottom one is an old Queen Anne ribbed pattern, and the others simple rolled sheet brass.  
 Length:67 1/4”        
Barrel: 51 1/8”, .71 cal. Lock: 6 3/4”x1 3/8”
Trigger Guard: 8 5/8” Butt Tang: 2 7/8”
Sideplate: 4 1/8”
 Furniture: Brass/Iron
Weight: 7.8 lbs.

I would think though if I had to  be pinned down  I would chose a  smooth bore , more then likely a fowler  of club butt design .

Although technically a hunting gun with the fore-end of its maple stock reaching to the muzzle of a European barrel, this family fowler, which omits all but the basic components, is typical of many of the existing arms carried into the field by the American forces early in the Revolution and by the militia throughout the war. Its stock is the popular civilian club butt form, but the non-essential buttplate, escutcheon, sideplate, raised carving and bottom ramrod pipe are not included. The Queen Anne period, three-screw flat lock design with its reinforced cock has an unbalanced profile which suggests possible Colonist manufacture. An uneven, hand-forged iron trigger guard, however, is obviously American-made. The wooden rammer is secured in two upper, sheet-brass thimbles.  
 Length: 60”
Barrel: 45”, .70 cal. Lock: 7”x1 1/8”
Trigger Guard: 7 1/8” Furniture: Brass/Iron
Weight: 7.5 lbs  

Mario may have others for you to consider also .

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 03:26:05 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to do that, Charles.

Both of those interest me. The club butts appeal to me, and I know they weren't uncommon in MA. It's a pretty big time window I've presented. I've reduced it a bunch, considering my family farmed in MA and a bit in CT for about two and a half centuries! Some of these ancestors were men of means and community respect. Some of my thoughts have gone so far as to imagine that there might have been some imported English guns too. There's one of Mike Brooks' guns that kind of speaks to me:

englishfowler4

On the other hand, these folks came from early Puritan immigrants, so there may have been some residual frugality and plain-ness to what they bought. It is a lot of fun to try to put together how one's ancestors might have equipped themselves. I know too that some of my families were huge, and needing to equip several sons with militia arms could have resulted in some very basic guns. One man in my line went through three wives--childbirth deaths--and had 18 surviving adult children when he died. I could only manage the two we have!
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline russ t frizzen

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 10:52:10 PM »
Many early New England guns had a French influence and were made up of any parts that were available. Sort of "bitsa" guns. Many were older model military pieces, either French or English. And, not being a disposable society, everything was used until no longer useable and then anything salvageable was reused. Many salvaged parts were stocked up in cherry. Some of these guns were quite elegant. And many were as ugly as sin.
   Club butt fowlers and even old dog catch muskets were common. Not likely that rifles were abundant in Massachusetts in this time frame.
                                         Dan
TMA Charter Member #29
N.M.L.R.A. Member
NRA Endowment Life Member

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 08:52:00 AM »
yep, fantasy is the correct word if there isn't even remote tangible evidence of yer family's use, and type, of firearms.  like our other member, detached, who's looking to have a firearm representative of his kin, yer guesstimate of what family heirloom firearm to hone in on will be as good as his.  so, you now have full carte blanche to pick and choose, and whatever yer choice, it'll be perfectly correct.  promise! ;)

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 07:19:04 PM »
Looking at what is known to exist in a certain place, during a certain time, among a certain population is far from fantasy. It's simple research and probability.

And you don't have "carte blanche", but you do have options.

Quote from: "Kermit"

If my family were in the area of Middlesex, MA in, say 1740-1790, there were a few political dustups that might have encouraged arming the farm. I needn't enumerate them for you readers. I can also imagine that doing some hunting could have been seen as worthwhile to augment a farm family's dietary needs.

So what might they have owned to meet these imagined needs? You have a time period, a location, a vocation. If they were militia arms, what might they have been? If the intention was hunting, what could they have owned? I'm not interested in additional fantasy of travel to PA, VA, SC where they might have purchased something. Given my family's penchant for staying put--with but about 3 exceptions in 4 centuries--that doesn't fit the scenario.

Care to shed some light? :idea:

The main thing that would encourage arming the farm was quit simple. The law.

“a good fire lock, bayonett, cartouch box, one pound of powder, twenty-four balls to fitt their guns, twelve flints and a knapsack.”  (Town of Braintree Resolves, January 23, 1775.)

"a good firearm with steel or iron ramrod, and spring to retain the same, a worm, priming wire and brush, and a bayonet fitted to his gun, a tomahawk or hatchet, a pouch containing a cartridge box that will hold fifteen rounds of cartridges at least, a hundred of buckshot, a jack knife, and tow for wadding, six flints, one pound of powder, forty leaden balls fitted to his gun, a knapsack and blanket, a canteen or wooden bottle sufficient to hold one quart.” (Continental Journal and weekly adviser, January 22, 1778)

“a powderhorn, a bullet pouch to contain 40 leaden balls, a knapsack, a canteen, a firearm of good worth, a haversack,a belt, a good pair of overalls.” (Boston Gazette May 26, 1777)

"Each soldier to provide himself with a good fire arm, a steel or iron ram rod and a spring for same, a worm, a priming wire and brush, a bayonet fitted to his gun, a scabbard and belt thereof, a cutting sword or tomahawk or hatchet, a . . .cartridge box holding fifteen rounds . . . at least, a hundred buckshot, six flints, one pound of powder, forty leaden balls fitted to the gun, a knapsack and blanket, [and] a canteen or wooden bottle to hold one quart [of  water]"  (Journal of Arthur Harris of the Bridgewater Coy of Militia.)

Hunting does not seem to have played a big part in the life of the typical New Englander. They were farmers and in Middlesex, they were far from the frontier.

That being said, the fowling piece is the most common arm of the time.

There are also records of French arms being taken in war and sold at auction in Boston. A French trade gun (not the Type C/D you see quite often) or a fusil de chasse in the hands of a farmer wouldn't be out of the realm.

Rifles were very much unheard of in NE until 1775, when riflemen from PA/KY came to join the siege of Boston.

That area of MA spawned both club-butt fowling guns and the ones we know as New England fowling pieces. Either of those would be quite suitable. If you were a man of means, then perhaps a British import fowling gun with a little engraving, etc.

Get yourself a copy of "Flintlock Fowlers: The First Guns Made in America" by Tom Grinslade. Dozens of surviving NE guns in there to look through.

Also, "Of Sorts For Provincials" by Jim Mullins shows dozens of guns from the F&I period used by NE folks. Being an older guy, you may still be using something that was 20-30 yrs old.

Mario

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 07:31:40 PM »
i disagree, mario.  ALL that will matter is the historic year in question, as ANY firearm built that year or prior that existed in america could wind up most anywhere.  don't think so?  prove otherwise.  :)   carte blanche, mon amis!

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 12:24:33 AM »
Quote from: "rfd"
i disagree, mario.  ALL that will matter is the historic year in question, as ANY firearm built that year or prior that existed in america could wind up most anywhere.  don't think so?  prove otherwise.  8)

He COULD have carried a silver mounted 14th century Persian dagger in a Narwhal tusk sheath, but if you can't prove that it DID happen, than it's just a "shoulda, coulda, woulda".

Mario

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 06:43:57 AM »
thank you - my point exactly, mario.  

this is all way too easy to suss out.

without at least referential evidence, who can say for sure what firearm(s) - if any - one's ancestors employed.  can you?  nope, no way jose.  suggestions and theoretical guesses are meaningless conjecture without some form of tactile support.  it's ALL guess work.  what IS fact pertains to the time frame in question.  the ak47 is 20th century, so let's be smart and rule that out.  the op thinks mid-17th century for his ancestor's arrival in the new world, so that's a good guess at a start date, would they have brought firearms with them?  as the years progress, would they still  have any of those theoretical first firearms?  by mid-18th century, would they have acquired other firearms?  what, no proof?  that's called "hypothetical guessing".  so, YES, NO choice but to guess away.  :)

a very good example of "referential evidence" would be a surviving bible.  a friend is now caretaker of her ancestor's pilgrim bible that dates back to the 17th century when her fore bearers arrived in what is now massachusetts.  bibles were used to record family matters - births, deaths, marriages, land titles, etc.  indications of firearms and other important items could more than likely be inscribed in such a family book.  i did get to look at that bible before she moved to florida, and there were lots of specific family references in it.  now I'M curious - i've got to check that bible out, again.  happy fantasy theorizing y'all!

Offline Detached

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 08:09:48 AM »
I'm following this thread with interest, even though I still like the turkey and gun in the image I posted! (BTW cap, that's not a front sight, it's a slit in the front of his coat topped by a button.)

At any rate, I asked this same question in my post a bit further down in this same forum, "Tell me about my rifle". And, I got pretty much the same response. The short answer is really that which you get if you combine Mario and rfd's answers. You have carte blanche, but within limits. In my case I was looking for a different period and different localle, and trying to narrow it down to be more specific yet to a certain person. Without empirical evidence, I'm shooting in the dark and need to make some assumptions.  

So for my own purposes, I've started setting some parameters in order to make my assumptions. My ancestor was in his late 20's, maybe early 30's at the time he went to war. He was born in the area he lived. His father was still alive and well. With this information I have decided that my ancestor would not have taken his father's gun to war, dad would've needed it on the home front. I am also going to assume that he bought a new rifle, because there might not have been much selection of used guns on the Kentucky frontier. With these parameters my assumption is a newer gun to the period that he purchased himself.

I've invested a lot of time investigating rifles that were built in Kentucky. I've learned there were thousands of gunmakers from about 1775 on in Kentucky proper. I've learned there were gunmakers in my ancestors area. Because my ancestor was a farmer, I don't think his gun would've been really fancy, but it wouldn't  have been dead plain either because that wasn't the norm for the period. With this information, I've decided that his gun was purchased from a local gunmaker adn would've likely been on the 'plainer side of typical'.

Since this was the frontier, and since he was in his late 20's or so, and since most young'uns had to learn to shoot to survive, I'm going to assume he got is gun about 10-15 years before he used it at the battle. So, I've set my parameters for year the gun was built to be somewhere from the late 1790's to about 1805 or so.  

Now, any of this could be right or wrong and I'll probably never know. But as long as I'm comfortable with my parameters and assumptions, then I'm good to go. And I guess that's the entire point of my post. If you do some research, decide on your parameters and are comfortable in your assumptions, then you are as correct as anyone else will be.

Mine might be easier than yours. I think you have a lot more variables in gun choices based on period and localle.

Edited to add:
I am still very undecided and have continued to research my family history in the hope that one of my "cousin's" direct decendants can shed some light.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 11:03:36 AM »
(BTW cap, that's not a front sight, it's a slit in the front of his coat topped by a button.)
LOL ,,,, I stand corrected . I see that now Detached. Sure looked like a front sight at first glance  

Im going to have to  disagree , respectfully with a few points of each of you .
 Which supports the end conclusion that  there is no way to specifically  prove an exact choice that an ancestor chose to carry  . All one can do  without actual documentation of a specific family  member  would IMO be to narrow down to a likelihood at best.

As  such we then have to draw educated conclusions.  Since we have started to justify  why  each of our conclusion, let me try and justify mine .
 First lets start with the law  being a justification .
 The problem as I see it with  the principle is that  we have a 50 year time frame which covers both the F&I war an  American revolution as such we have the political climates and the  effects of both  to consider  as an influence .
 Because of this one could probably write a book  on  the subject  and still draw nothing but an opinion .

We  know that despite laws  people back then  were as like not to follow them as they were  today . Hence we have  people not  having or showing up to militia training without the required equipment  or with very out dated equipment .  We see that happen throughout history .  Look at the  reports even at the Alamo  with people showing up with nothing but pitchforks and sickles .
 Then you have  do to the early date  the possibility of  arms being in a community armory ??? Again we are not talking frontier  settlements here.
So I don’t think given  the family reference that   we can claim “law “ as a reason for  having any firearm  . Thus  I state the possibility that one may not have had one at all .

As to a rifle .  I discount that do to  IMO it being the lesser likelihood. Not because of it not being a possibility . Right in the middle of this  time frame you have the colonies passing laws against selling rifles to Native peoples .  Why ,,, well because there was a market for it  and thus it was happening .  So can we not conclude from  such that rifles were available and being transported north and south .
 We also know that  years later  gunsmiths like John Armstrong  made their living mainly from  well-to-do farmers . So from that  I conclude that  even though a farmer in a rural area may not have had a great need for a rifle , they were still buying them . So apparently 20 years after our given time frame , there was a market .  

At the same time however if we go back to our given time frame , rifles  would have been expensive. Remember we are talking farmers here .  Not much has changed, even today ,concerning  their revenue flow. IE they live most of the year on credit , then  pay off that marker when the harvest comes in. with the cost of an average rifle still being around 1 months pay ,  I add that to my list .  Which now equals
Rural farmer , Family status /wealth un known , cost , need ….
All reduce IMO the lily hood of a rifle. So it goes  low on the list of possibilities

Which is something that smacks right into your  conclusion of a young farmer  and his rifle ,Detached . Simply put  young farmer  back then = very poor farmer  unless they came from money . As such  to buy a new rifle meant he would have to have taken on a lot of extra work  in order to buy that rifle . Thus there IMO would have been a greater likelihood that  in your case the gun would have been passed down or  bought used. But again as with this case , we are talking degree’s of likelihood as we cannot say based on definitive fact    

Next  we look at smoothbore , as what else is left . So what type of smooth bore ?
 Well considering the family , its background ,  settled area , I lean to the club butt .
 The  surrounding area  would have still had a large Dutch influence , hence what were the Dutch building during that time ?
 Even if we move later in that 50 years span when  there began to be more English  moving in, those English were still building  club butts  , but with English influences. Hence you see the different  English parts being  on those guns . But the important thing for me is that  those English and German smiths were still putting out club butt type fowlers .  Thus I draw a conclusion that the plausible reason for that is that style of gun was what was popular in that region. IE they built what people were looking for .

This then leads me to  the BoO ’ Board of ordinance type guns . So what were these  guns ?  Well  they are what RFD  suggested  in that they are made from a conglomeration of parts from different guns .   during the revolution “again in our time frame “   congress   built the Board of ordnance for the purpose of producing a supply of arms from available parts . IE they were  building guns from what ever they had available .  Hence you get the American  Fowler   I posted . While working at the MoI  I saw more then a few of these  and we gave them their own classification.
The reason for that is that while it wasn’t uncommon to see  guns made from parts  prior to the forming of the BoO . However prior , a lot of times  what one would see is a different lock , maybe a different but plate or TG .  But not really the mass of different parts that  was seen after the BoO development .  The concluded reasoning  was , from what I was told at the MoI was that  gunsmiths while refurbishing older arms , were still  applying what they new and were comfortable with . Hence they were still producing a style they were comfortable with . IE you still had the Dutch , German , France , English influences being predominantly prevalent on the piece even though the piece may have been from different guns . After the BoO you see guns that are a mix of what ever  was available , a lot of times placed on  what ever stock was available or restocked to a rather strait stocked fowler type gun . Basically  a smiths  individual influences for the most part went out the door as they were producing  what ever they could , as fast as they could . The only real thing that mattered was that they got as many  functioning “though cheep “ guns , out as fast as they could , before they were found out . Thus most have no makers markings .
 Why the need ?
 Well because not only did the colonies not have the  supply of arms that  one would think they had , but they also were finding that they were losing large numbers of arms do to attrition . Not to also mention that despite the laws , they had people  showing up without  arms . So they needed as many fireable weapons as they could.
 One would think that do to the number of smiths , there would have been more then enough . But the simple fact is that there wasn’t . don’t forget that many of the “Laws”   of the time made manufacturing in the colonies  very hard to near non existent. Everything , just like today , was taxed , records had to be kept , parts and supplies had to be imported  even though we were capable of producing our own . Kinda reminds you of today really .  
 So you then have a chance of  such a gun being  on the list   IMO is very probable.

As such  I believe if we narrow down  the possibilities , given the Family , its back ground , its location , we then come to a very good likely hood that a smoothbore  sets atop of the list  and a rifle lower down .  That doesn’t mean its definite. Only the greatest probability

From there one would have to Imo dive deep into family history  and be very specific as to a person  to narrow the list more .
IE what was the person like , were they  young and rebellious. Did they seem to stretch the bounds of the family or conform to  older family values . Did they seem to  travel a lot or  did they not travel far .  What was their financials like . Were they very poor ,  middle  of the road or more on the wealthy side  in that they owned a lot of land  or just small plots . What were their political alliance during this time ?

Thus in the end I would agree with Mario that  one could , given a lot of research , come up with a very possible conclusion.  But remember its only a conclusion and can never be definitive  without  direct family reference.

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 11:48:43 AM »
captchee, with all due respect, "likelihood" is no more than an educated guess, based on theoretical circumstances.  it is not proof positive.  the only sole facts the op has to go by at this juncture would be historical records that reference his ancestry.  it's all amusing guess work.  many many many things could have occurred 300 or so years ago.  firearms are important personal and family assets that could be from most any logical creator/location.  they could be had from anywhere, most any time prior or at the year/decade in question, and be or have been many decades old or "brandy new".  without at least anecdotal support records, it is all pure "i think" rather than "i know".  therefore, the op just needs to make a best guess, move on, and be happy.  as expected, ymmv, sir.