Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: The Caplock & Flintlock Ignition Thoughts  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
The Caplock & Flintlock Ignition Thoughts
« on: March 18, 2018, 10:10:34 PM »
No, I'm not opening up a comparison debate about these two lock ignitions. Heck, like many of you out there, I use them both, and enjoy them both...  :bl th up  Fact is, the first ML I ever shot was a flintlock back in the early/mid '70's (can't remember the exact year for sure) but it belonged to one of our NCO's who kept one in my Arms Room while stationed at Ft. Riley.  I only shot it a couple times with him and it was enough to get me hooked.  When I ETS'd in June of '77, one of the first things I did was get a couple CVA caplock rifle kits and have been shooting muzzleloading firearm's faithfully since then.

Now I didn't get back to the flintlock ignition until about 20 years ago (or there abouts) anyway, even though I have rifles in both ignitions - over the last six to eight years I've been straying further away from the caplock simply because of the price of caps. They're getting more expensive all the time. Now that's not to say flints haven't gone up because they have as well...  However,,, the one thing I can do with a flintlock that I can't do with a caplock, is pick up a piece of flint or chert off the ground and make a temporary workable rock to shave metal sparks off my frizzen into my pan of prime and set off my charge.

I think weighing the options of ignition should play a part in decision making (for me) of what ignition to go with. Obviously the flintlock wins out in the above mentioned... However,,, the caplock is very handy in as much as you don't need to prime a pan from your powder horn (or priming horn)... Simply cap the nipple from a brass cap holder or leather cap holder, and you're good to go.

As far as humidity with both systems drawing moister, I personally believe they are about even once that first charge goes off in high humidity. Both systems seem to require some tender loving care between shots on humid days.

Flintching? Sure, that exist for a while with the flintlock but the shooter soon shoots his/her way through that and it's no longer a problem. With the caplock we don't worry about such things.

Follow through? Well, both ignition system's require follow through in my opinion. The flintlock (again IMHO) may need just a bit more,,, but that could just be a mental thing? In any event follow through with any firearm system should be second nature, and with the both the flint and cap locks I think one should always try to use the same amount of time.

Cleanup? I found that it takes the same amount of time for both the cap and flint locks.

Anyway, I've rambled on enough and perhaps this post belongs up in the Campfire board, but after all this typing I don't want to risk loosing it, by moving it now. Also, if some of you soon to be builders were on the fence about what to build, (flint or cap), this might be of some assistance.

I will end by saying this one last thing; Flintlock (for me) have always been way more fun to shoot, but go with what you like... :shake

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: The Caplock & Flintlock Ignition Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 11:34:03 PM »
Good thoughts, Joe.  Gives one something to think about.
I started out shooting percussion and have always preferred it.
BUT
Over the years, I have tried to even force myself to go with flints.  Once, I even sold off all my percussion rifles and pistols.  What a stupid thing to do.  But, it was a beautiful rifle and it wasn't cheap.  Once I had it, I started saving for another percussion rifle.  Of all things, I replaced it with a T/C New Englander in .50 cal. no less.  I don't particularly even care for .50's, but it did shoot pretty well.
So, now, I have one flint and one percussion, and that is probably what I will go out with.  Then, it won't really matter.
But flint or percussion, it is a personal choice which way a person wants to go, there is no wrong answer.  For me, the right answer is percussion.  And I will probably never run out of caps, I have a  pretty good supply laid in, especially considering how much shooting I do anymore.
John

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 12:40:23 AM »
I have to admit to being able to shoot a percussion better than a flinter (a flaw on my part entirely),.... strange thing is, I have more flintlocks than percussions.  :o :)
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 08:22:26 AM »
I have to admit to being able to shoot a percussion better than a flinter (a flaw on my part entirely),.... strange thing is, I have more flintlocks than percussions.  :o :)

Same here, as you and John, Rondo.  I think probably because we've got that favorite percussion, and it has that right feel to it...  :bl th up

Say, Cindy and I will be heading down to Kearney the latter part of April. I'll PM you and Beth the dates as soon as I confirm it tonight.  :shake

Offline 2grouse

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #809
  • TMA Member: Membership Expiration; 3/1/2020
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 08:23:59 AM »
I’ve owned and shot both over the last 40+ years. I have come to prefer flintlock, for the reasons mentioned above. If I had to depend on one gun for survival, it would be a flintlock.

Offline AxelP

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 11:13:03 AM »
I have shot and owned both. Liked them both. Currently all I have for muzzleloading is flint, so that is what I shoot. I doubt I will ever buy another percussion or flint gun. I am happy with what I currently have, and don't foresee them wearing out before I do. Shoot what ya have.

K

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 12:43:26 PM »
I doubt I will ever buy another percussion or flint gun. I am happy with what I currently have, and don't foresee them wearing out before I do. Shoot what ya have.

+1!  I drool over what is out there, but realistically I will stay with what I have.

And Bigsmoke, Bobby Hoyt will bore that .50 0ut to .54 for a very reasonable fee, he did it for me!

-Kees-
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 01:13:41 PM »
I doubt I will ever buy another percussion or flint gun. I am happy with what I currently have, and don't foresee them wearing out before I do. Shoot what ya have.

+1!  I drool over what is out there, but realistically I will stay with what I have.

And Bigsmoke, Bobby Hoyt will bore that .50 0ut to .54 for a very reasonable fee, he did it for me!

-Kees-

Kees,

That ol' New Englander is so far gone that I just barely remembered it.  IIRC, I got it just barely after they were released.  They later released them with a .54 barrel, but I think I had sold it by then and I got a nice .54 fullstock instead.  Percussion, of course.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 03:32:39 PM »

FWIW

Both my .50 cal flinchlock A&H (Austin & Halleck) Mountain Rifle's exhibit virtually instantaneous ignition - noticeably faster than any of my caplocks - using only a little Holy Black (same as the main charge - FFFg) in the bottom of the pan.   :toast

(One of my identical A&H Mountain Rifle's has a fast twist barrel for conicals, the other a slow twist for PRB's)

« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 03:37:15 PM by PetahW »
NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Offline Iktomi

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 04:24:50 PM »
My first muzzleloader was a CVA Mountain Rifle, .50 flinter that I bought in the very early 80's. I shot the heck out of that gun for several years, hunted with it often and successfully, and I can think of only 2 or 3 times it didn't go BANG when I pulled the trigger. I only have the one capper at the present time, I need to rectify that situation :)
TMA member #417, expires 2/14/2010

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 08:35:45 PM »
My first muzzleloader was a CVA Mountain Rifle, .50 flinter that I bought in the very early 80's. I shot the heck out of that gun for several years, hunted with it often and successfully, and I can think of only 2 or 3 times it didn't go BANG when I pulled the trigger. I only have the one capper at the present time, I need to rectify that situation :)

I have always liked the CVA Mountain Rifle. Mine is an old (.50 cal), and the other a (.45 cal) which I cut the barrel down to 28 inches - installed a new breech plug & drum, front & rear sight's, and made a new walnut stock for it. I also installed a Large Siler Cap Lock on it, then gave it to my wife for her rifle.  That 32" x 15/16 barrel in .45 caliber was just a bit to heavy for her. Anyway, we use to enter the couples shoot at the Rendezvous but haven't done that in years. I like those old CVA Mountain Rifle barrels with their .008 depth rifling grooves and 1 in 66 twist. They're shooters for sure. I think Douglas made/supplied those barrels if I recall correctly?  :bl th up   

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 09:42:28 PM »
Hey Joe, that almost sounds like the guy who bought Daniel Boones tomahawk. The head was replaced two times and the handle five times. :Doh! :lol sign
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 10:19:38 PM »
Hey Joe, that almost sounds like the guy who bought Daniel Boones tomahawk. The head was replaced two times and the handle five times. :Doh! :lol sign

:laffing It do at that!  :laffing

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 10:38:43 PM »

Hank, Hank, Hank, what's a mother to do???  :Doh!
You and Joe crack me up!

:laffing :applaud

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shrewbows.com
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #54 Expires 03/26/2019
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 12:35:11 PM »
Flintlock for me is more dependable. If you do what you're supposed to do it will always go off. Sharp flint, dry powder in the pan, vent clear. I wrote a poem some years ago to that effect

Flint be sharp to make good spark, no damp be in the pan

pick the vent it must be clear to do the job at hand.

plug the vent with feathered quill when storing for the night

do your part so carefully and it will serve you right."

Ron LaClair
TMA Charter member #54 Valid until 03-26-2019

RON_LACLAIR.html

TMA, Keeping the traditional spirit alive by example

When the deer are gone I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter