Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Patches  (Read 2118 times)

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
Patches
« on: May 14, 2008, 01:25:38 PM »
Ok, I know this has been talked about till the cows come home...but I need to get some answers so I do not make some major Boo-Boo's. After seeing the prices of unlubed patches at market fair, I decided I need to get punch cutters and a micrometer and start buying material by the yard.
The question is; I plan on using the geared end of the mic to measure the material, I need an .018 thickness patch, so,
1. What do I mic the material to in the store so I end up with a .018 patch?
2. Should I wash the material before I use it for patches, to get the sizing out?
3. What kind of material should I look for, Ticking, Denim, Canvas....
4. If I wash the material, will it mic differently after the washing?

OK, that should be enough for now....I am waiting for your responses...As always, Thanks in advance

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 01:27:18 PM »
Me too! getting tired of spending 3.50 plus for patches
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Chairslayer

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Member # 239
  • TMA Member: Membership expires 3/27/ 2019
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 01:39:02 PM »
I buy pillow ticking at JoAnns fabric, it usually mics between .017 an .020. I use a .525 ball in my .54, slightly coned and I don't use a short starter. Yes wash it to get the sizing out. On a side note, if you tear it into strips for patching, you can save all the strings that come off, and char them just like material. When you make your birds nest for fire starting, you can mix the fibers down into the nest and it will really catch a spark well.
Dan Egener
TMA #239 Expires 3-14-2017
Learn from the mistakes of others, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.

Offline Groundhog

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 09:49:33 PM »
yup Griz' Chairslayer be right wash it first n get the sizin n starch out...
Forrester (sp) tool used to make a patch cutter... got one back ina box in that room full of valuable junk... pretty hard on the wrist when twisstun ... did not like it all that much.
I prefer pillow tickun for thicker patches and linen for thin ones... take multiple measurements and do the average...  people will look at ya funny while you be measuring.
I think "Friscars" makes a neat cuttin board for cuttin fabric  ya kin cut em square of triangle or any other neat shape but round ...
  NOW ya kin shoot more with the money ya be savin' on de patches.
TMA Member # 273 EXP. 07/15/08
Conocheague Valley Men
Keep the Tradition Alive for Future Generations !
Remove all WARNING LABELS , survival of the fittest.
go look at my blog    http://shootingpouch.blogspot.com/

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 11:08:50 PM »
I agree, the pillow ticking is the way to go.  I buy the blue striped 100% cotton (the heavy stuff) from Wally World and it does vary in thickness (.017 to .020) is what I have found.  For me, I have not noticed a differnce in this variness.

I purchased a 1 1/4" hole punch some years back from McMaster-Carr, and it has served me well cutting those 1.25 patches, and I use them in all my calibers from .40 to .54...  Nice thing about it is you can punch out up to eight or ten at a time and that sure speeds up the process considerably.

I then melt my 1000+ bore butter in the microwave and dip everyother patch (make a stack of 20) then I squeeze out the lube and stick those 20 patches into an empty percussion cap tin, and throw them in my shooting bag for later.

I also spit patch so I cut my ticking into 2" wide x about 20" to 24" long strips then tie one of those strips around my shooting bag strap (up toward my chest) so it's handy to spit patch with during Rondy shoots and just plain ol' plinking outings.  You can just keep one end in your mouth absorbing spit. :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 06:08:14 AM »
Fellows, Thanks for the info, I gather that ifn' I get around a .017, Pillow Tickin' and wash it first before I start punchin' I should end up with a .015 or close to that patch and I will be good to go.
I ordered a punch from Campbell Bosworth company, cheapest place I found and ordered a C.S. Osborne punches. Dixie Gun works handles the same punch, but they didn't have the size I needed. Thanks again for the help.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 08:49:59 AM »
Morning Griz,

When I checked some of my material after washing out the sizing I found none that was less then .016, but mostly found it to be .017 with the occassionally higher .018 to .020...  So I think you'll be alright. :shake

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »
Thanks Joe, I figured it owuld be a bit thinner after washing, which brings up another question, how many times should new material be washed to get out all the sizing? once or twice or....hopefully not more or the misses will think that I am being...Heaven forbid....domesticated :cry:  :lol:

Offline melsdad

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 09:26:44 AM »
Tim, I don't know what size punch you were looking for but this is what I made. 1¼" dia. I could have made you one of these, but I see you ordered one already.
Brian Jordan
TMA member #333

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 09:35:34 AM »
How much are you talking to have them made...I may want to get spares. I would like a 1 1/16" and a 1 1/4"

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 10:18:41 AM »
Griz, I just wash it once and go with that. :shake
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 01:53:57 PM by Ohio Joe »

Offline melsdad

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 12:10:23 PM »
Quote from: "griz"
How much are you talking to have them made...I may want to get spares. I would like a 1 1/16" and a 1 1/4"

I will bring it to the next shoot to see if you like it.
Brian Jordan
TMA member #333

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Groundhog

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 05:57:34 PM »
Griz what ya need to come up with is a way to spin cut em on a drill press ... use maybe a nice thin peice of steel or brass ... spin down into material against a soft pine board ... kould dress up the cuttin edge right on the press.
Turn slow n watch ye ole bear claws !
I would soak the material first in warm water ... then wash... be good to go then.
keep the groups tight ...
TMA Member # 273 EXP. 07/15/08
Conocheague Valley Men
Keep the Tradition Alive for Future Generations !
Remove all WARNING LABELS , survival of the fittest.
go look at my blog    http://shootingpouch.blogspot.com/

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 06:06:08 AM »
Groundhog, wouldn't have to be careful about it catching and spinning the heck out of things. Seems kinda scary. But thats just me. I guess a hole saw with the teeth cut off would work. I need to see how slow my press will spin.

Brian, I am definitely interested in both sizes. How much do you think they would be and maybe I will be there with $$$ in hand. I even think Joe wants to order some, Price please :lol:

Offline melsdad

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
Quote from: "Groundhog"
Griz what ya need to come up with is a way to spin cut em on a drill press ... use maybe a nice thin peice of steel or brass ... spin down into material against a soft pine board ... kould dress up the cuttin edge right on the press.
Turn slow n watch ye ole bear claws !
I would soak the material first in warm water ... then wash... be good to go then.
keep the groups tight ...

The possible problem I see with this approach, besides the danger factor. Would be if your drill press did not spin at a low enough R.P.M. say 5-10 R.P.M. you would quickly burn the temper out of the cutting edge and ruin the tool.
Brian Jordan
TMA member #333

Thomas Jefferson