Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Patches  (Read 2124 times)

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 11:49:17 AM »
I have been cutting them on a drill press for years,get a cheap holesaw grind the teeth off and sharpen it,back the drill bit up so it doesn't cut a hole in the fabric.Take a piece of thin plywood  and drill a hole in it the same size as the hole saw clamp the fabric between the plywood and another board on the table, line up the hole saw with the hole in the plywood and drill away.Its takes a lot longer to descibe than to knock out a thousand patches.Then I discovered the wife's cutting board and rotary cutter so I cut square patches a lot easier.I can't see any difference in shooting results.You might want to buy an extra blade or two for the cutter so you don't upset the wife when she finds she has a dull cutter.

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 05:19:52 PM »
I agree with Charlie. I switched from cutting round patches to square about 4yrs ago. For me it seems to be a lot faster and easier. I'm also often backwards from the rest of the world.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Groundhog

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 06:59:24 PM »
I can still count to ten ... lol
TMA Member # 273 EXP. 07/15/08
Conocheague Valley Men
Keep the Tradition Alive for Future Generations !
Remove all WARNING LABELS , survival of the fittest.
go look at my blog    http://shootingpouch.blogspot.com/

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 04:31:57 PM »
No offense, but would somebody please explain to me the advantage of pre-cut patches?  The closest I've ever come to using something like that was when I'd fill a loading block.  Otherwise I just short-start and cut at the muzzle to get a perfectly centered patch every time.  A strip of patch material tied to a leather whang on the front of my shooting bag does the trick.  Again, I'm not trying to cause offense.  I'm just trying to see the great advantage.

Storm
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Online Hank in WV

(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 05:45:04 PM »
Not sure there is any advantage to pre-cut but I like to pre-lube. I carry them in a little tin in my shootin bag.
Hank in WV
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online Hank in WV

(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 05:45:33 PM »
Not sure there is any advantage to pre-cut but I like to pre-lube. I carry them in a little tin in my shootin bag.
Welcome to the forum.
Hank in WV

Offline Francois

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 03:05:45 AM »
100% pure cotton works for me. It doesnt tear or burst at all, not even a scratch.
The only way to be free is to fight for your freedom - Hoofkommandant A.W.J. Pretorius

Offline melsdad

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 05:04:01 AM »
Quote from: "Hank in WV"
Welcome to the forum.

I do the same as Hank.

I gave Griz his patch cutters this weekend. Once I find out how they work, if anyone wants any I will be glad to make them in what ever sizes you need.
Brian Jordan
TMA member #333

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wyoming Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 07:57:59 AM »
I have never seen any difference between round or square patching as far as shooting goes.  I use a sharpened hole saw and drill press to make round patches.  As Charlie said, it takes no time at all to do a 1000 patches.   I did the round patches because I can seem to cut a straight line with scissors.  BTW trapezoidal patches work fine too.  :)
Love the smell of black powder in the morning
Smells like fun.

Offline Chairslayer

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Member # 239
  • TMA Member: Membership expires 3/27/ 2019
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 10:42:11 AM »
Don't cut the pillow ticking, tear it along the blue lines. When you attach it to your strap all you have to do cut a 'buttonhole' in the end and thread it back through. Save the strings that come off when you tear the strips and char them, they make great fire starting material.
Dan Egener
TMA #239 Expires 3-14-2017
Learn from the mistakes of others, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.

Offline Dragoon

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 359
Shape of Patch?
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2008, 03:01:04 PM »
I watched the use of several variations on this during the weekend. First, I saw someone using the "cut and spit" method, cutting off a small 1-1.25 inch square of material and wetting it in their mouth. Seemed to work (not round).

The other was round spit patching (unlubed manufactured patches were used)

Then there were the round manufactured ones that had moose milk on them.

So, round or square?
Always Ready, Second to None!

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2008, 03:59:30 PM »
Both will work, depends on you and your saliva output, you know what I like to use.
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline melsdad

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2008, 05:09:10 AM »
Here are what the patch cutters look like. They are made of A2 tool steel hardened to 59 Rc. The ends are drawn to 48 Rc. to prevent chipping if a metal hammer is used. One is 1.0625" diameter, the other is 1.250"diameter.

Tim should be trying these soon, the idea is to cut through multiple layers of ticking to produce patches quickly.

Brian Jordan
TMA member #333

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike 56

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2008, 01:08:07 PM »
I tried pillow ticking but found it was to thick for my rifle right now i am using cotton flannel from a old nightgown it's just right for my rifle. Try different things until you find what your rifle likes. For lube i have had the best luck with Windex or spit. I just cut my patches with a rotary cutter and quilt cutting Board also. I just cut them square i get the same accuracy as cutting them muzzle. My two cents.

Mike