Traditional Firearms > Flintlock Long Guns

Brown Bess shot patterns vs barrel length

(1/2) > >>

chuckpa:
Can anybody tell me if the barrel length on a Brown Bess effects the shot pattern at 30yds. I was looking at the ships carbine from MVT with a 26 inch barrel for turkey hunting in MN where they require a minimum of 12 gauge for a muzzleloader.

edwardamason:
The last inch or so in the barrel is what gives us our shot pattern.Not the length of the tube.

With modern BP your are not going to gain much in velocity when you get  over 24 inches.

Its really up to you to what you like and what your needs are going to be inside the re-enactors circle.

I can tell you this,,IF you have a short bess,,you better be prepared to show Who you are,when your persona was and where your character was. If you go with the longer pattern,,it covers MUCH more ground.

hawkeye:
If it's going to be used for Turkey hunting only, you could have it jug choked.  Otherwise, getting a tight enough for turkey group at 30yds is going to be difficult with any length cylinder bore barrel.

Riley/MN:

--- Quote from: "hawkeye" ---... getting a tight enough for turkey group at 30yds is going to be difficult with any length cylinder bore barrel.
--- End quote ---

Well, unless it is a 25 yard barrel...

When/where ya huntin, Chuck?

chuckpa:
My son lives in Brainerd. I will be out there visiting him. I don't do reenacting but that ships carbine was copied from one that is in the Smithsonian. I just thought it would be a very handy gun.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version