Traditional Firearms > Flintlock Long Guns

Cabelas Blue Ridge Rifle load

(1/3) > >>

oneshot72:
I WILL BE WORKING UP A LOAD FOR MY SON'S 50 CAL BLUE RIDGE RIFLE AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAD A LOAD WORKED UP FOR THIS GUN? I WAS THINKING A CONICAL MIGHT BE THE BEST SINCE WE WILL BE GOING ELK AND DEER HUNTING THIS FALL. I HAVEN'T HAD A LOT OF EXPERIENCE WITH THESE LITTLE CAL. AND THE 1 IN 48 TWIST. MIKE

BEAVERMAN:
Whats the caliber?

Groundhog:
50   start off with 75 grains behind  a roundball.  work up by 5 grs.
Roundball will get it done.

Bigsmoke:
Mike,
Take your load for Big Brother, divide by 3.  Good place to start.  Then like the Groundhog says, work up by 5 grains at a time - 3 shot groups.  Hope you can even hear the little thing go off.  It ain't much, but better than throwing stones.
I am going to guess that the gun will be pretty happy somewhere around 75 - 80 grains of Ffg.  Maybe a little less of Fffg.
Connicals?  Round ball?  Try both and see what works the best.  Accuracy always trumps velocity or energy.
Note to self:  Mail Mike's stuff to him.

tg:
I would not hesitate to use the .50 with ball on Elk at the ranges open sights allow, best to keep arouind 75yds as a max in my opinion but many others have taken Elk at 100yds with a .50 using ball, as mentioned above placement is the key. I would guess around 80gr3f give or take that is what I found worked in a few .50 guns I have had in the past, though some guns .50 and above like 2f better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version