Traditional Firearms > Flintlock Long Guns

New (Old) Hawken

(1/3) > >>

butterchurn:
I was surfing last night and decided to look at TOW.  They had a used Thompson Center Hawken flint for $288.00 built from a kit.  I bought it on the spot  

It is in very good shape.  I'm thinking I will get one of those RPL locks for it.  Any of you had experience with these locks?

Ron

Riley/MN:
Putting one in my CVA. See pics in this thread:

http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingasso ... 87&start=0

Three Hawks:
Is there something wrong with the T-C flintlock?   I shot one for years with no problems, it was as reliable as any.  It is curious to me that nearly every comment I see about  T-C's locks assumes they are inferior.

The reason I converted mine to concussion is the area and season I hunt is nearly always rainy and flinchers simply don't do as well as concussion underwater.  I did my conversion so it's a matter of minutes to reconvert to flinch.

Three Hawks

greyhunter:
I agree with you  TH, have owned three tc flinters , kept one, nary a blip with the locks. Always worked, faithfull in all weathers, only changed frizzen on one fer poor sparking (after several years use. )  But if someone feels better with a diff lock, far be it from me to discourage em!  

Captchee:
TC are most time pretty good . but  most of that is based on their warrantee’s
 They had a real problem for a while with their geometry on their flintlocks .
 That has since been rectified . But if you have one of those older locks , then you may or may not have a good one .
 I wouldn’t worry about replacing it until you find out  what you have .
 If you find you have a bad one , let TC take care of it and replace it with one of their newer locks .

Now my 2 cents is that  I have never seen one that would spark anywhere near an L&R  and nothing like a Davis or chambers lock . Do they work ? Yes . Are they acceptable ?  Well yes . Is there much better locks out there ? Most certainly

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version