Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Revisiting Old Friends  (Read 402 times)

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
Revisiting Old Friends
« on: November 04, 2016, 11:34:24 AM »
A month or so ago, we dropped Charter or Spectrum or whatever they want to call themselves this week.  I had kept the cable box with the DVR because I had some movies on there I wanted to watch.  They have been calling the last few days saying where's our equipment, you gotta return our stuff or else, etc.
So, last night I sat down for an enjoyable double feature.  
First on was an old favorite that I had not seen in quite some time, Yellowstone Kelly.  Kind of typical 1959 Hollywood movie of the sort.  It really never gave a time zone of when this supposedly happened, but I would guess 1875 - 1880.  Question?  How come most everyone was carrying Winchester model 1894's?  Did see one soldier with a trap door.  Wonder where that came from?  Always fun seeing Clint Walker, Geez, he's a big guy.  Still alive, too.  Born in 1927.  It was a bit hokey, all in all, but the scenery was absolutely fantastic.
Darn it, I forgot to get any popcorn!!
Next up was one of everyone's favorite movies, The Mountain Man.  Another slightly contrived and hokey movie, but the relationship between Charlton Heston and Brian Keith is terrific.  I typically don't really care for profanity and such in movies, but in this one, it just fit so well.  Not really PC by today's standards, either.  Another think I liked about it.  Again, some great scenery.  I think I got my pine tree fix last night - sure been missing them.
Anyway, good times last night.  I guess I am going to have to get them on DVD so I don't have to wait so long to enjoy them next time.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
Re: Revisiting Old Friends
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 01:08:23 PM »
Always been a big fan of Clint Walker!
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 01:45:44 AM »
Good movies for sure, John. I too am a Clint Walker fan, and I truly have enjoyed watching the Mountain Men with both Heston and Keith. They played in several movies together throughout their Hollywood career, of course The Mountain Men will always stand out for me with them two in it,,, and Clint Walker's "Night of the Grizzly" (IIRC correctly the title) = great movie!  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 10:38:07 AM »
And then continuing watching old "B" westerns, I have been sucking them up as best I can while I am still getting the premium movie channels, two nights ago I watched this one about the Confederate States pardoning convicted killers and sending them out to do some dirty work.  Cast of unknowns, weak plot, but good scenery.  The two glaring problems with the movie were that at one point, the current date of May 18, 1867 was mentioned.  Funny, I thought it ended in May, 1865?  Details, huh?  And of course, the firearm time machine was employed as all the actors carried 1873 Colts and 1894 Winchesters.  Amazing.

Last night, I watched the 1953 blockbuster Pony Express with Charlton Heston and Forrest Tucker.  The story, set in 1860 stars the aforementioned actors as Wild Bill Hickok (Tucker) and Buffalo Bill Cody (Heston) who are attempting to establish the Pony Express.  Along the way they get to meet Jim Bridger as a saloon keeper.  Best line there as he pours out three shots, "I'm drinking my whiskey, you're drinking my whiskey, so, let's drink to me!"  I like it.  Again the firearms time machine comes into play with Peacemakers and Winchester 94's.  

Getting me to wondering if I were to watch a 1700's pirate movie if they would have the same weaponry?????

Evidently, Hollywood has never really had a real good sense of historical accuracy?

John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 11:07:41 AM »
That's why they calls it "Hollyweird".
Life member, National Rifle Association
Molon labe