Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Furlough Stuff Not Related to Accoutrements, etc.  (Read 1159 times)

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Furlough Stuff Not Related to Accoutrements, etc.
« on: April 02, 2020, 07:54:52 PM »
Getting antsy here.  Got out the sewing machine today and made a couple of surgical masks, like I saw on line Tuesday.  That turned into quite the project.  I have never been able to get the tension adjustments right on this machine and haven't used it enough to force myself to do that.  I started out with the machine set as it was and the stitching was horrible, on top of which it kept jamming up on me.  I finally got out the instruction manual. It said to first clean out all the lint and crud in the shuttle, then oil it.  That helped with the jamming up but the stitches were still wrong; the top thread was pulled all the way through and the bottom thread was tight as a bob-wire fence.  But there in the book it showed where to adjust the lower tension.  I backed out the screw and the stitches started looking better.  Backed it out some more and now they look more or less like they are supposed to.  With all the finagling, what should have taken 20 minutes according to the video (of an accomplished seamstress) took from 2:00 to 5:45.  The end result ain't purty, but they'll be serviceable.

So what have others been doing?

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Spotted Bull

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 10:16:59 PM »
I made a Leman-ish belt bag, that I kinda messed up on the sewing on. I got it too close to the edge. Still working on the dye job. I'll post pics later.

Offline Ironhand

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Supporting Member # 664, Expiration 5/4/2019
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 01:38:58 AM »
Had the day off so I checked my bees and then pruned grape vines.

IronHand
Place your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark.

Lazarus Long

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
Re: Furlough Stuff Not Related to Accoutrements, etc.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 10:35:47 AM »
Working on a Hat blank. Trying to sew in the inner headband. Going ree a all slow.
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 07:48:15 AM »
I have put off a thorough cleaning and reorganizing of my "man cave/hobby area/basement room all Winter. Today is THE DAY.

Well, to be honest, it's the day that I will start. Completion might take several days, even a week. But it will happen...

I have got to tackle it so that I have space to do some of the numerous projects on my "I should try that" list.

Updates to follow...
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 08:26:23 AM »
Cleaning Project Update - Made a great start yesterday, and actually have put in 45 minutes or an hour this morning before wifey got up and moving. Came across not one, but two projects I have already put back on the work bench. One is an antler palm piece for a bow drill fire set and the other is a snake pipe stem for my medicine pipe. The cleaning project has already got me pumped up to get it finished so I can get back to the crafting and "piddling" as my wife calls it... :lol sign
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

Ray Buchanan

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 09:41:37 AM »
Hmm ........What kinda "Medicine" you smoking, Tex?
I think they called that a different kind of pipe in the 60's.  :luff: :luff: :luff: :luff:
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 05:17:41 PM »
Be nice!  :lol sign

Reminds me of a story...a true one bout me & my son. And since I know you cannot wait to hear it I will break down and tell it to you...no begging necessary.

While I was in Egypt the first time I was introduced to the water pipe...also known as Nargilahs, Argiliahs, Kishas, and in Jordan as the Hubbly-Bubbly. Being a life-long pipe smoker, I had to have one so bought one. Once I got home I proudly showed my new pipe to my 22 year old son.

He just burst out laughing and said," Call it whatever you want, Dad, but it is a Bong. You went to Egypt and bought a Bong..."

Still have it, and still smoke it...whatever you might call it... :lol sign
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

Ray Buchanan

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 04:19:59 AM »
I always thought a "BONG" was the sound my head made whenever I accidently hit it on sumpthin' hard and immovable.  :o

I learn sumpthin' new 'round here each and every day.  :laffing :applaud
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 12:15:02 PM »
See? I'm  not  the only one who calls 'em as I  sees 'em. BTW ,  I  noticed that you neglected to say what you smoked in it!!!!  :luff: :luff: :luff: :luff: :luff:

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 06:44:59 PM »
That lack of information might have been a slip...or it might have been intentional...but as they always say..."inquiring minds want to know... :bigsmile:
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

Ray Buchanan

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 08:16:42 PM »
Be nice!  :lol sign

Reminds me of a story...a true one bout me & my son. And since I know you cannot wait to hear it I will break down and tell it to you...no begging necessary.

While I was in Egypt the first time I was introduced to the water pipe...also known as Nargilahs, Argiliahs, Kishas, and in Jordan as the Hubbly-Bubbly. Being a life-long pipe smoker, I had to have one so bought one. Once I got home I proudly showed my new pipe to my 22 year old son.

He just burst out laughing and said," Call it whatever you want, Dad, but it is a Bong. You went to Egypt and bought a Bong..."

Still have it, and still smoke it...whatever you might call it... :lol sign

Unfortunately that is not a bong, common name in the states during the 60's and 70's was a hooka pipe, a bong in a round tube usually 8 to 12"'long with a stem that sticks out 45 degrees about 4 inches up with a bowl on it for your baccy  ::) ::), on the opposite side of the tube there is a aprox 1/4" hole in the tube, you fill the bowl, cover the hole,start sucking on the open end of the tube, when the the tube is full of smoke, you let go of the finger cover the hole and VOILA!, lungs full of smoke, usually the tube has, water, wine, or ice in it the cool down the harshness out whatever your smoking, in a pinch a pringles can will serve as a start of a bong, don't ask me how I know this, I plead the 5th! :lol sign :lol sign :lol sign
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2020, 09:36:56 PM »
Got the sewing machine out and made some face masks.  Had a heck of a time as it kept breaking thread, it would bind up, made strange thumping noise and I was cussing it for sure!  I even got the booklet out to see what I needed to do. Tore the whole machine apart to make sure it was oiled, still no better.  I changed thread but it still kept breaking.  Eventually it was breaking thread after 2 inches of stitching.  Then I tried changing the needle and WOW, it purred like a kitten.  :Doh!  That's a good thing, as I have several other projects lined up for it.  Anyway, we are ready to go out and party now!

~Kees~
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Spotted Bull

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2020, 09:41:11 PM »
Yeah Winter Hawk my wife has made probably a dozen of those things in the past week or so, for me and the family and the folks that she works with. My job requires them and provides the throw-away kind but her's are better. Its been pretty much a requirement once they determined that the Corona Virus will survive in raw wastewater, along with eye protection and rubber gloves. There's been a lot of disinfecting sprays and wipes used around here lately. All the employees have to have their temperature checked before we can clock in.

Offline Puffer

• TMA: Charter Member #133
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2020, 12:07:32 PM »
HUNTER-GATHER DAY  :bigsmile:
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
THE TMA NEEDS YOU ___ JOIN TODAY
(THE BEST $15.00 I EVER SPENT )
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society
NRA -  Range Safety Officer,