Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Snake Eyes, aka John Keegan TMA member #10  (Read 1060 times)

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
Snake Eyes, aka John Keegan TMA member #10
« on: July 13, 2020, 04:15:43 PM »
Obituary

Edward “John” Keegan, Jr., 74, passed away on July 6, 2020. John was born on July 20, 1945 in Columbus, OH to the late Edward, Sr. and Mary (Irwin) Keegan. He is also preceded in death by his loving wife, Linda Mae and his sister, Francis Lang.

John is survived by his children, Kimberly (Devon) Prince, Edward (Sarah) John Keegan III, Katie (Doug) Fox and Keri (Kyle) Vance; grandchildren, Erin (Jimmy) Trejo, Sean, Kassidy, Kaitlyn, Keegan, Kelsie, Kaylie, K.J. and Kody; great- granddaughter, Eleanor; sister, Susan (Bill) Bickham; brother, Jim (Bonnie) Keegan.

John family will receive friends on Monday, July 20, 2020 from 3:00 to 4:00pm at the Cotner Funeral Home, 7369 E. Main St. Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 where his memorial service will be held at 4:00pm with Pastor Dennis Barnhart officiating

Snake Eyes was a true gent and avid muzzleloader , prolific poster here on the forum and has been and will be missed by me and I'm sure some of the other old timers here, keep the coffee on and the powder dry for the rest of us who will follow some day! RIP Snake Eyes!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Snake Eyes, aka John Keegan TMA member #10
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 04:31:55 PM »
Very sorry to hear this, he was TMA #10... I always enjoyed John's comments and enjoyed visiting with him on other Forums "pre - TMA" and was glad to see him come over to the TMA and lend us his support. He will be missed.

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Two Steps

• TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 04:34:41 PM »
Wow!  Sorry to hear this...John was a good fellow and a good member...
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 04:35:03 PM »
Well, darn !!!!!That is sad news indeed.  He was a good friend and quite the supported of the TMA.  I don't know how many peoples' dues to the organization he paid, but it was more than a few.
After his wife, Linda passed away several years ago, he kinda dropped off the TMA forum.  Been wondering what all he was up to.
Several years ago, maybe 10 or so, I was planning on going back to Ohio for the Horners' Guild annual meeting.  In talking to John about it, he invited me to stop by his place and visit for a while.  So, I pull up to his place in the rental car and what do I see stuck in the grass by the curb?  He had a sign made that said, "Welcome to Ohio, Bigsmoke"  What a treat that was.  The dinner he fed me wasn't bad either.  As I recall, he gave me a little grab bag that contained some Ohio memorabilia as well.  He was a great guy and he will be missed.  RIP, Snake Eyes.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 05:39:29 PM »
Well, darn !!!!!That is sad news indeed.  He was a good friend and quite the supported of the TMA.  I don't know how many peoples' dues to the organization he paid, but it was more than a few.
After his wife, Linda passed away several years ago, he kinda dropped off the TMA forum.  Been wondering what all he was up to.
Several years ago, maybe 10 or so, I was planning on going back to Ohio for the Horners' Guild annual meeting.  In talking to John about it, he invited me to stop by his place and visit for a while.  So, I pull up to his place in the rental car and what do I see stuck in the grass by the curb?  He had a sign made that said, "Welcome to Ohio, Bigsmoke"  What a treat that was.  The dinner he fed me wasn't bad either.  As I recall, he gave me a little grab bag that contained some Ohio memorabilia as well.  He was a great guy and he will be missed.  RIP, Snake Eyes.

John, I remember you telling that story years ago.
About 6 or 7 years ago, I suddenly stopped getting Christmas Cards from John.
There was a time when many of us oldtimers exchanged Christmas Greetings ever single year, but back to what I was saying....after a couple of years searching for Snake Eyes, I finally got a response from a guy on 1858 C&B Revolvers, and he said Snake Eyes had to quit Sam's Club due to illness,  and that had been a year or so prior.
Until this, that's the last I ever heard about John although I have asked here and other places.
I'm truly sorry to hear about John.
He was a "consistant" poster on the Forum and very few posts escaped his responding.....he was a likeable kind of fellow, with close ties to Claude, and the Muzzleloading Forum, and.....quite honestly, this fact created a lot of friction between the two Organizations during our very early years.
Not many around nowadays that might remember much about Snake Eyes, but I can assure you, all Internet Forums pertaining to Muzzleloading, or C&B Revolvers, has lost one of their most prolific posters.
He loved the game!
And, I'm quite sure he will be missed.
R.I.P. Old friend.
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online BEAVERMAN

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 05:41:07 PM »

Ya know John, I remember you posting here about your visit with him, i actually found this by happenstance, while gleaning all the old posts with no pics or broken links I clicked on Snake Eyes name, went to his profile and found his real name, ( been many years since I shipped anything to him, he owned many horns knives and bags that I made), did a google on the name and what I posted popped up, kinda like he wanted us to know what happened, another good one goes to the big rondy in the sky!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 06:30:12 PM »
I had been wondering about John for a good while now. I remember asking Russ about him the last time I was out there visiting. He was certainly one of the TMA's biggest cheerleaders. RIP John.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Spotted Bull

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 06:50:12 PM »
I know that I enjoyed conversing with him on the forum. Being a newbie he was very patient and understanding of all the questions I had. Always had a great response to everyone's posts.  I had been wondering about him, too.

RIP Snake Eyes.

Offline Puffer

• TMA: Charter Member #133
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 12:41:39 PM »
 :pray:
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
THE TMA NEEDS YOU ___ JOIN TODAY
(THE BEST $15.00 I EVER SPENT )
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society
NRA -  Range Safety Officer,

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 01:16:39 PM »
I see it hasn't been mentioned yet,.... but John was also a "TMA Founder".  :hairy

I,.... like Russ, took notice when John stopped sending me a Christmas card every year, and I feared his life had taken a serious downturn. :(

R.I.P. Snake Eyes.  :pray:
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 07:42:35 PM »
I see it hasn't been mentioned yet,.... but John was also a "TMA Founder".

Yes he was... Good man for sure, and will be missed, but he has good company at the TMA Campfire in the great beyond.
 :*:

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 08:41:40 PM »

Yes he was... Good man for sure, and will be missed, but he has good company at the TMA Campfire in the great beyond.

Yep,.... John and Dave are probably havin' a good ol' time 'round the campfire right now!  :hairy :toast :*: :applaud :)
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2020, 09:00:20 PM »
 :hairy

Online BEAVERMAN

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2020, 09:26:00 PM »

Yep,.... John and Dave are probably havin' a good ol' time 'round the campfire right now!  :hairy :toast :*: :applaud :)

and 3 Hawks aka Gerry Nygard,&  WWPETE52 aka Wally Peters has them rolling on the ground laughing, trust me ifn you never sat around a fire with Wally and Gerry with an open bottle you've missed out!, each year at our rondy on Sat night in our clubs camp fire we raise a glass to those 2!two of the best story tellers I ever met!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA