Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: barrel seasoning  (Read 1169 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: barrel seasoning
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 01:55:50 PM »
Many years back I went to strictly a spit patch except for hunting which I use the TC Bore Butter. Now I never bought into seasoning a barrel as I always clean my firearms when I'm finished shooting for the day, regardless of what lube I use.

I will say (and this was never meant to be an experiment), but I do feel I get better accuracy using the Bore Butter rather then my spit (perhaps I have bad spit), so I'll be going back to the Bore Butter. And,,, if it ever did season anything - I believe it seasoned my bullet blocks I use to keep my patched balls handy for loading... :shake  I still plan on trying some of Fletcher's Old Thunder lube, I hear that is good stuff!  :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 02:32:37 PM »
Joe, I have a bottle of BirdDog6 Lube, Remember him from the very days?....(Lyle something, was his name, and he was a great builder.)

Anyway, it's a full bottle, never opened, never used, while I have read raves upon raves about this lube going back for years and years.

I was all set to order some Ol'Thunder Lube from Fletcher last year when I came across a box of "stuff" that hadn't even been opened since my move from the other side of the mountain ELEVEN years ago... :Doh!

That box had a bunch of lubes in it, some I had made up over many years past, some GREEN Pine smelling Bore Butter, which was hard as a rock, several tubes, at least 6 or 8, of regular BB, and a full bottle of BirdDog6 lube....probably 16 ounces.

Then, of all things, Rob DiStefano discovers that LeHigh Valley Lube has been recently re-introduced, and he sent me a very generous bottle of the new stuff.!!!!

Then, I get a new 8oz can of Mink Oil from TOTW.....What was I thinking?

The worst winter in over 60 years, and I'm thinking Mink Oil might be the ticket if I was ever able to get out over another winter like that.
Of all the things I might need to continue with this Hobby, I assure you Lube is not one of those things.

Now, if someone would just come up with a lube, with all the missed shots already taken out, I would be up to giving that a try, in a heart beat.

I'm pushing 80 years of age, been shooting Muzzleloaders for a good 65 years plus, and I have learned over these many years, that the best lube, best load, best shot,  is all in the Indian, not the Arrow......

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 08:54:41 PM »
Russ, I remember BirdDog6. Whatever happened to him?

All this lube talk got me to thinking about my X-Stick rifle lube I use to modify using the TC Bore Butter and adding more Bees Wax to it. I know that deep in the bowls of my basement I have a box somewhere with this stuff in, and the directions I used to mix the two. When it was all said and done it made a great patch lube for my X-Stick Rifles, but that was back in the days of swabbing between every shot and being an extremely meticulous loader.

I now kind'a fudge with swabbing about every 3 to 5 shots (depending), and not being meticulous about leveling off my powder charge. Yes, I became quite lazy about shooting targets to the point of I suspect that is why I started Spit Patching, I just didn't want to mess with the lubes anymore. I guess now I do. :shake

It's all still good ol' black powder fun!  :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska