Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Identifying Black Powder?  (Read 1522 times)

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Identifying Black Powder?
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2017, 02:25:57 AM »
That's what Maven said. I was just quoting him; perhaps he will explain his reasoning. I can see why it would be messy. But if the firearm is strong enough,  I guess you could try it. I have only used 4f to prime with. Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done or makes sense. But again, that's just my take on the situation.
Life member, National Rifle Association
Molon labe

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2017, 04:05:37 AM »
I've been thinking some more about your question regarding using FFFFG for the main charge in your Old Army Ruger.
And here's my latest thinkin' on it,....

You say one of the reasons for trying FFFFG, is to increase velocity,.... one thing you gotta remember is, when shooting pure lead round balls, in a fast-twist barrel, with shallow riflings,... the less likely the bore's "lands" will maintain their "grip" on bare, soft, pure lead balls as velocity encreases.
That's why for most cap'n ball pistols,... a "less than" full cylinder of powder is usually more accurate than a full cylinder, and it's higher velocity.
Also,... "leading" of your bore, will become a real concern as velocity is increased,.. since there is no way to put "gas checks" on round balls,... and even if you could,.. pushing them into a cylinder would be impossible when loading.  :hairy
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Hooter

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2017, 10:21:29 AM »
Thanks guys. Yeah I will probably just forget about it. Those are great replies.

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2017, 03:12:17 PM »
Increased velocities can be had by using either Olde Eynsford (sp?) or Swiss; they're both closer to the sporting pistol powders of the 19th century.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Hooter

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2017, 04:16:54 PM »
Quote from: "Hanshi"
Increased velocities can be had by using either Olde Eynsford (sp?) or Swiss; they're both closer to the sporting pistol powders of the 19th century.
Thanks. I was planning on getting some with the mix and match. But I think the Swiss FFFG is out of stock.

Offline peterh

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 787
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2017, 10:32:43 AM »
Quote from: "rollingb"
Quote from: "Rob DiStefano"
well, smokeless burns, REAL black powder explodes ... if you were to lay out a 6" long very slim line of black powder on smooth concrete or rock or slab of plywood and touch one end of that line with a long made up match stick, it would literally explode as in this demo by hickok45 ...

... or just dump that mystery powder and start anew.  hmm, might be a sub, too (yuk!).  :wave
It might also be pointed out, that the modern "substitutes" for real black powder, actually BURN much like smokeless powder, but produce less "pressure" similar to that of black powder.  :oops:  Got a lot of smart  comments, so had to go back to camp and get black powder, took ball out put 1oz BLACK POWDER down the bore then the ball, put fuse in touch hole lit the fuse and then bang, ball went 100 yards to target. Since then I use nothing but 1F black powder and no more shy balls,

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2017, 12:03:10 PM »
[/quote]
I agree about substitute power, it does not have the pressure. Case in point, my 5.8in bore mortar will only shot it's ball with black power. I was at a event doing a live fire demo, ran out of black powder so used 1oz pyrodex got a good bang and lots of smoke but the ball did not leave the barrel, it just made it to the end and rolled back down the barrel. :rotf
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2017, 08:20:23 PM »
My 1975 issue (I don't know if there is a more current one out there) of Lyman's Black Powder Handbook shows ROA loads of 31 gr. of G-O 4Fg with m.v. of 964 fps, and 41 gr. for 1036 fps. with .457 round ball.  Also same loads of C&H 4Fg giving 911 fps and 1021 fps, respectively.

This compares to their use of 30 gr. of G-O 3Fg for 858 fps and 40 gr. for 917 fps.  C&H 3Fg gave 761 fps and 772 fps. although that last appears suspect to me.

Anyway, they used both powder granulations "back in the day" to develop the loads in the book.  C&H was Curtis & Harvey powder, G-O was Gearhart-Owen, which I believe was the successor to Dupont and later became Goex (although my rememberer might not remembering the way it used to).

~WH~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Hooter

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2017, 09:51:16 PM »
Quote from: "Winter Hawk"
My 1975 issue (I don't know if there is a more current one out there) of Lyman's Black Powder Handbook shows ROA loads of 31 gr. of G-O 4Fg with m.v. of 964 fps, and 41 gr. for 1036 fps. with .457 round ball.  Also same loads of C&H 4Fg giving 911 fps and 1021 fps, respectively.

This compares to their use of 30 gr. of G-O 3Fg for 858 fps and 40 gr. for 917 fps.  C&H 3Fg gave 761 fps and 772 fps. although that last appears suspect to me.

Anyway, they used both powder granulations "back in the day" to develop the loads in the book.  C&H was Curtis & Harvey powder, G-O was Gearhart-Owen, which I believe was the successor to Dupont and later became Goex (although my rememberer might not remembering the way it used to).

~WH~

Thanks. Yes the last does seem to have quite a large variance. Maybe I will get some 4F after all. I still haven't placed my order. Work got chaotic, and I'm going into underwriting  later this week for a new mortgage, so I'll place my order after since I'll have strangers going through my financials.  I may end up with a pound of 4F. Right now we are packing up to finally move into our forever home. But I kept out my favorite old army, in case I find some free time to shoot n clean it.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2017, 09:05:38 PM »
Quote from: "Winter Hawk"
Anyway, they used both powder granulations "back in the day" to develop the loads in the book. C&H was Curtis & Harvey powder, G-O was Gearhart-Owen, which I believe was the successor to Dupont and later became Goex (although my rememberer might not remembering the way it used to).

Thank goodness for written reference, wouldn't ya say?

Uncle Russ....
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2017, 11:35:33 PM »
Quote from: "RussB"
Thank goodness for written reference, wouldn't ya say?
Amen to that! :rotf

~WH~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025