Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Instead of swabbing between shots  (Read 691 times)

Offline No Powder

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #75
Instead of swabbing between shots
« on: March 13, 2024, 10:55:54 AM »
Instead of swabbing between shots, I read about an individual who simply places a cleaning patch on the end of the jag, and runs this down the barrel as he is shoving the prb down the barrel. Naturally the patch should come back out as the ramrod is removed. Has anyone tried this, or maybe using this method in their loading procedure?

TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
Re: Instead of swabbing between shots
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 11:11:58 AM »
Since I started using beaver milk as a patch lube I have never had to swab a barrel during a shoot, 30 shots and no swabbing!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline No Powder

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2024, 11:37:33 AM »
My advice to you would be to continue using beaver milk. I'm still using LV, but sooner than later I'll run out. I only have one rifle that causes some issues. Thinking of trying this fellows method to see if it may help. I bought this rifle used, and am thinking some rust in the barrel may be the culprit.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2024, 02:28:56 PM »
Instead of swabbing between shots, I read about an individual who simply places a cleaning patch on the end of the jag, and runs this down the barrel as he is shoving the prb down the barrel. Naturally the patch should come back out as the ramrod is removed. Has anyone tried this, or maybe using this method in their loading procedure?

I have seen this done many times back in Ohio at the monthly shoots when I was a member of the Shawnee Long Rifles. I've also seen it done at the Nebraska State ML Shoot... I don't think it's a new concept. It has probably been done many a times by more serious shooters who strive for every bit of accuracy they can achieve - and it probably does help... As for me, I'm a spit patcher and usually never swab between shots unless I feel the need to / though I will swab the barrel between 5 shot groups.

IMHO, what you described above Tom, would indeed give one a more "controlled fouled barrel" - shot to shot / as does swabbing between shots / and you wouldn't have to worry about any dampness in the "powder charge" breech area - that may foul the charge...   :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline No Powder

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2024, 04:12:28 PM »
I was pretty certain this procedure wasn't anything new. But I didn't remember of reading about it before. But the way my mind works anymore, anything can happen. Joe ,you was correct about being a more uniform barrel condition using this method. And the absence of moisture in the breech was another good point. With these advantages, and maybe others, I think the next trip to the range, will include trying this method. Of course it won't help with the Rev. sized target. Nessmuk is in charge of finding help with that target. :pray

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2024, 06:16:18 PM »
I'm like the Beav, never have to swab the barrel. This procedure is a new one to me. I guess I should pay more attention to you old timers and learn something ;)
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline No Powder

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2024, 06:44:46 PM »
Well Hank, I agree with you. I've never had to swab before, and I really don't want to start now, but it's beginning to look like an option with this gun. But I may try a few other things before trying this method.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2024, 06:52:14 PM »
I'm like the Beav, never have to swab the barrel. This procedure is a new one to me. I guess I should pay more attention to you old timers and learn something ;)

I seldom ever swab between shots unless shooting conditions dictate that I need to. However, I've found that out here where I live - the ol' spit patch works just fine loading from the horn & bag, and the less stuff I have to cart to the Range and back sure makes for a more pleasent outing.  Rifle / Bag / and Horn, is all one needs... :bl th up

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2024, 06:58:13 PM »
A while back, I went on a trail walk where there were about 25 shots.
I was shooting my buffalo rifle, 12 bore, 1-104 rot, loading 200 grains of Ffg, .715 rb, .015 OxYoke .70-79 patch and, listen carefully, an OxYoke 12 ga pre-lubed cushion wad, loaded powder, wad and patched round ball.  I would say that the last shot loaded as easily as the first one, and the shot placement did not vary a bit.  Amazingly enough, the long shot was at a wooden elk silhouette with a steel clanger placed in the kill zone.  This was placed at approximately 250 yards up a steep hill.  First time I ever hit it.  Never did with my .54.
Anyway, that's what I did, YMMV, and I seriously doubt many of you would be shooting that large a caliber with those powder charges.
As far as the patched jag goes, I have heard of it but never tried it.  I think that belongs in the bounce your ramrod camp, a place I don't care to go.  FWIW, I have never seen a ramrod bouncer finish first in a shooting match, although you might have.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2024, 07:06:38 PM »
Ok, I'll be the one. What is "Beaver Milk"? Moose Milk I've heard of, but Beaver milk is a new one on me. I did a search on our site and Today was the first mention.
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2024, 07:20:44 PM »
Nessmuk, you just gotta get out more.
Just kidding, I have never heard of it either.  Now Jim might have his own private menu of items in it, but if I were to guess, it would be WSO and aqua pura.  But I sure don't know.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline No Powder

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2024, 07:30:48 PM »
Bare with me while my vision clears up. Things got a little fuzzy while thinking of Bigsmoke shooting that buffalo gun. Thanks for asking that question fellows. I was afraid to ask. But then again, I just heard of Cat Whiz lube. What's next?

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2024, 08:54:51 PM »
Ok, I'll be the one. What is "Beaver Milk"? Moose Milk I've heard of, but Beaver milk is a new one on me. I did a search on our site and Today was the first mention.

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH ancient Chinese secret!

Just Beavermans own Moose Milk recipe! aka Beaver Milk!

Get a clean 1 gal jug  ( I use Langers or Ocean Spray jugs) their heavier weight plastic than a milk jug,

add 1C Dawn
       1C Murphys Oil Soap
       1- 4 or 5 oz. bottle of Hoppes #9
Top off with water, shake and use for a year or 2 for patch lube and clean the barrel after shooting ( when I was shooting every month and a couple rondys a month for 6 or 7 months I used a gal in about a year and a half! When I lube  my dry patches, I put them in an old school plastic 35mm film can, top off the BM, let set about 10 mins, then I pour the excess back into jug use my thumb to depress the patches against the bottom of the canister upside down until it stops dripping, then I either use them on a loading board( for a woods walk ) or just throw them in an old Ted Cash snuff can holder lying on the loading bench, patches are not dripping but between damp and wet, never had a problem with powder fouling yet, I DO NOT USE THIS HUNTING> Your Mileage May Vary!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Fyrstyk

• TMA Forum Member
  • "When your dumb, you gotta be tough"
  • TMA Member: Member #799
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2024, 08:22:45 AM »
I'm trying to get my head around this method.  I don't see how the patch on the jag when seating the PRB will do any cleaning of the bore.  It is my thinking that pushing the PRB down the bore is also pushing fowling ahead of it to the top of the powder charge.  A patch on the jag coming out of the bore should not be cleaning the barrel except maybe to remove excess lube.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2024, 08:50:35 AM »
Not really cleaning the bore (though that would somewhat happen when pulling the patched ramrod out after seating the patched ball), and it most likely would keep the bore consistent shot to shot...

The above is all I can come up with. If anyone here at the TMA loads this way, let us know your thoughts.  :shake

Note: To be honest, I personally can not see this loading method being that big of an advantage. However, I reckon how a shooter loads (his or her) fire stick is up to them and it ain't any of my business.