Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: A very sad day for the TMA...  (Read 840 times)

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
A very sad day for the TMA...
« on: March 20, 2024, 07:41:58 PM »
This morning, I was contacted by Cindy Martin the wife of Joe Martin aka "Ohio Joe".
It seems the TMA has lost a very near, and dear friend.
Ohio Joe passed away last night from a massive heart attack!
At this time, I have no further information, it was truly a bad day for talking and asking about all the details.
You can expect a follow-up, along with more details in a day or so, even sooner if I get that call.

For the newcomers to this forum, I offer the following:
*** You "old Timers" jump in here and help me out. When you're in your 80's one's memory is often not as good as it should be.

Ohio Joe was a Charter Member, and a driving force in forming the Traditional Muzzleloading Association.
Back in 2002, Rondo, Ohio Joe, Captchee, SSE, and myself were "chatting" back and forth, on many different forums, on the sport of Muzzleloading, How do we keep it alive and well, and about how we, meaning the whole Country, needed an Association dedicated solely to "Traditional Muzzleloading" in its rawest form.....because many of us still preferred the old-fashioned way when it came to Muzzleloading.
The NMLRA had just bowed-out to the many Manufacturers, Advertisers, Gun Writers, Merchandizers, and even many State Game Departments, in order to serve the In-Line Crowd...Such a move by the NMLRA was inevitable, the writing had been on the wall for several years, as this crowd meant money in the coffers for many people, and in particular, the ones I mentioned above, especially the State Game Departments.

Our Start-up was slow, very slow, because back in that day there were a dozen or more, 'new' forums popping up on the Internet that readily accepted the In-Line as an advancement in black powder shooting. Many of those forums over the past 20 or so years have since gone under, and are never to be seen again.

The start of the TMA actually came about in the Fall of 2004, when Claude, who was then the sole owner of the widely popular Traditional Muzzleloading Forum, gave me/us a "private forum", on his Forum....just as "we" have sub-forums here in the TMA
, only this one was locked to the public.
At the time I was a moderator on his forum for a short time, and for anyone to enter that "private forum" they had to contact me first.
It was there on that forum that we were formed.
With that being said, once we were Chartered, and started selling Memberships, Claude became Charter Member #1....

(I think I should also mention that the four members mentioned above were also very low member numbers, somewhere between 150 to 200 ?...I was #161 and Believe Rondo was #160, or 1 less than myself as he got me to join him on that very same forum, and "we" even helped Claude promote the forum across the internet, helping him build his business, in other words) 

We formed this Association on "Claude's Forum", In fact, a new President, later on, Dave Poss became the 1st active President, and a Board of Directors, was all established from the 200+ participants, all in that little one-room corner of The Muzzleloading Forum....I suspect excitement was building for a Traditional-only Organization, as Claude was bending heavily toward the new In-Lines too.

SSE, (Jim Vitelic) "volunteered' to be our Attorney, and guided us through the many processes we encountered in becoming a Chartered Organization.
But we made it through the process, and Jim even filed it for us in the State of Michigan, in Jan. or Feb. of 2005.
We made it through all the muss and fuss of becoming "legal" and fairly soon we had almost 600 registered 'participants', and well over 100 Chartered Members.
It's only right that I mention that we had several Charter Members who were also tech's, and as such we also had our very own Web-Forum up and running in late January of 2005.
One of the most memorable, to me, of those "Tech's" was an old Buckskinner by the name of "Smoked"... He too has gone on to that Great Rendezvous in the sky.
Ohio Joe was very instrumental in all this, having served on the Board of Directors, as well as our National Match Director for many years

At one time during our growing period, we even discussed, pretty deeply too, the possibility of other small Black Powder Shooting Clubs coming into the fold under TMA Chartered Clubs, as long as 40% of their Membership was with the TMA, we thought about Chartering that Club...but then the Insurance thing came into play, and we were quickly advised to drop that thought until we could insure everyone was covered. Ohio Joe was very active in all this, contacting other Clubs, making different Range Trips, and asking many hard questions...it turns out, that not a single Club had given this Insurance any thought at all....it died on the vine!
My own most difficult task proved to be that of establishing a Bank Account, as a Chartered Association, with no Cash in the Bank, no credit, and no references....
Remember, these were the days of Enron, MCI, and many Savings & Loans, along with Banks going Bankrupt, leaving the investors with nothing...so, the Federal Government stepped in and set some pretty hard rules.
However, with the help of my wife, Janet Baker, aka "Mama Bear" stepped up, and we have had an account in Shelton, Washington since then.
And then, the TMA getting a License to operate in the State in Washington, Taxes, etc, etc, ...Many of our early members, even Charter Members were from Washington State as we had a very active recruitment program, with State Representatives from different States, all of them right from our own Members.... as did Riley, Swamp, Ron LaClare, and several others.
We printed and passed out Hundreds, if not thousands, of Flyers at every event we attended..... Ohio Joe was doing the very same thing.

Those of you who never got to meet Joe, or talk to him, may not know what all this is all about.  Just trust me when I say, any Member who did as much for any organization as Joe did for this one, will be sorely missed.

R.I.P. Ohio Joe
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: A very sad day for the TMA...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 07:57:21 PM »
Oh my goodness, what a terrible message to read.
Although we (Joe and I) had never "talked", we did trade a bit of banter on the forum and even exchanged a few PM's from time to time.  I am truly sorry that we never chatted on the phone, or had a chance to meet face to face.  It's truly my personal loss.  My prayers go out to his family at a time like this.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline No Powder

• TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #75
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 08:41:48 PM »
What terrible news. Unlike Bigsmoke, I talked to Joe many times. When I started shooting in the postal shoots, he was the NMD. At that time, I was completely computer illiterate. Somehow ,I got his phone # and had many wonderful coversations with him. I could tell he was a swell guy from our conversations. I will truly miss reading his posts, and I would like to extend my sympathy to Mrs. Martin and the family.
                                                       With Deepest Sympathy
                                                                No Powder

TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024

Offline Two Steps

• TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 08:46:27 PM »
It was hard to understand when I got a message from Cindy…Joe was always active and doing something!  I reckon a heart attack just doesn’t care.  Always a pleasure to talk with Joe, either on our telephone meetings or the back and forth here and on FB. I know that Joe will be missed by many…
Adios Joe  :*:
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
  • Achieved 2020 Challenge / 4 year postal competitor
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 11:37:03 PM »
What sad news regarding Joe passing. I just received an email from Tom, No Powder, relaying that tremendous loss. Joe and I exchanged comments in the forum and in pm's and he was always a smart and a nice guy. My wife and I are in his debt because he sent us two treasured DVDs relating to my wife's Fort Boonesborough, Ky ancestors. Our heartfelt condolences to Mrs. Martin and to her entire family. Joe will be missed, but memories of him will live on.

Don and Suzette Volkmar
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2024, 04:40:17 AM »
As some of you probably know, Joe and I shared some camps/rendezvous from 2002-2021. One couldn't ask for a better "brother" to enjoy the sport of traditional muzzleloading with, he will truly be missed.  :*:

What a sad day!
R.I.P. Joe!!!!!!!!!!  :pray:  :*:
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online dmarsh

• TMA Member: Member #798
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2024, 08:40:36 AM »
RIP Joe.  My prayers for him and his family. 
"I won't be wronged.  I won't be insulted.  I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2024, 09:35:29 AM »
My condolences to Joe's Family. I wish I had met him in person, he helped me with answers to my frequent newbie questions. I will miss him greatly.

R.I.P. Joe. You are loved, admired, respected, and sorely missed. You will be remembered by many.
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2024, 10:25:19 AM »

R.I.P. - Kneemail sent for his friends/family.   :pray:
NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Online KDubs

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2024, 12:41:28 PM »
Very sad indeed, my condolences to friends and family.
 Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2024, 02:59:50 PM »
I have no words, in a state of shock!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online Darren Haverstick

• TMA: Board of Directors, TMA Treasurer
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member.
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2024, 04:17:20 PM »
This just breaks my heart. Thinking of his family.

Darren

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2024, 06:29:13 PM »
Wow, what a gut-punch. On one of my rides out west, I stopped in to meet Joe at his workplace. I ended up staying at his place for two days. He took me to a museum (the name escapes at the moment) and took me to Fort Robinson where a friend of his gave us a private tour of the whole place. Definitely one of the highlights of the trip. This was a bit hard to write. RIP Joe.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Butler Ford 40

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2024, 09:51:28 AM »
A sad day indeed.  Rest in peace old friend.
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey for tomorrow I may have to eat them.  Amen

Offline LongWalker

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2024, 10:56:36 AM »
This is hard news.

His obituary is here: https://www.chamberlainchapel.com/obituaries/marty-martin