Traditional Firearms > Flintlock Long Guns

Where have the white sparks gone

(1/4) > >>

No Powder:
My buddy just gave me his current issue of Muzzle Blasts magazine to look at. I read an article that mentioned those white sparks flying into the pan. And I have seen this same thing mentioned before. I am not saying this is not true, but all the sparks I have ever seen were orange. Am I color blind or are all the muzzleloaders  I have been around been of inferior quality? I also have an article that says orange sparks are unproductive and too cool. If it ain't broke don't fix it. My orange sparks seem to be working fine.

Ohio Joe:
Hmmm... I guess I never really paid attention to the color of the sparks going into the pan, I seldom ever look until I replace a flint / or adjust one / or dress one. Even then I'm just looking for a good shower of sparks with no specific color in mind... I'll admit that as I grow older my seeing of colors "eyesight" doesn't seem to be near as sharp as it was when I was younger, but I can still see sparks (no matter what the color they may be).  :)  :shake

Winter Hawk:
The Hodgepodge rifle has orangish sparks, but they seem to go into the pan alright, and ignition is (to me) fast and dependable.  The Traditions Shenandoah I recently acquired throws a lot of white sparks.  I haven't shot it yet so can't give a report on how well it goes off.

~Kees~

No Powder:
I am assuming it all depends on the frizzen.

Nessmuk:
I, also, tested my Flintlocks for spark color (it was too cold to go outside so I had time). The results are as follows:

.50 cal TC Hawken White Sparks
.45 cal Pedersoli Kentucky White Spark
.40 cal Buggy Rifle Maker Unknown  Orange sparks
.50 cal Traditions Trapper pistol  Orange sparks

As a control, I swapped the flints on the TC and the Buggy rifle and the spark colors remained the same.
So I agree with No Powder it's all in the frizzen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version