Traditional Firearms > Flintlock Long Guns

Favorite caliber and gun for woodswalks?

(1/7) > >>

Smokey:
To those who regularly shoot woodswalks,
Which caliber do you like best for woodswalks?
Also, what is your woodswalk gun?

And why?

Bigsmoke:
I guess I would have to say a .54.
For an all around caliber, I think it fulfills about everything I would want.
For over 25 years, I was vacillating between .62 and .72 calibers but since I have sold those, the .54 really has taken their place.  Besides, some clubs don't favor the big bore guns, they are afraid the big boomers will damage their targets.  Interestingly enough, the only time I ever broke a target was with a .54.  Go figure...
I have had so many rifles, one would have to have a date qualifier for what is my woodswalk gun.  Currently, it is a T/C PA Hunter that has been bored out from .50 to .54 caliber and is being updated from flintlock to percussion.  I am really looking forward to that improvement.
John (Bigsmoke)

Winter Hawk:
I haven't been on a woodswalk since I left Oregon in 1992, but in my perambulations here on the Wayne National Forest I often carry my .45 caliber "Hodgepodge" rifle.  It is so named because it is a mixture of parts.  It started out as a Deer Creek kit (CVA Mountain Rifle, actually) with a slimmed down stock.  Then I had Captchee install a new Colerain barrel on it, and I changed the trigger guard out for a Leman from Track of the Wolf and added a patch box.  It weighs a little over 7 pounds and is a joy to carry.

~Kees~

No Powder:
Smokey that is a good question, and for me a hard one to answer. I have several rifles I use, but the weather does help me to decide which one to take . We just had our first woods walk last Sunday. I took my old TC Renegade in 50 cal. and I only hit 7 out of 12. Perhaps I should consider using a different rifle next time. I have had some good shoots with that rifle too. So I would say that my 50 cal  Renegade is probably my favorite rifle to use on our woods walks.

Fyrstyk:
I prefer the .54 as it hits our steel targets with authority.  We use 3/8" steel targets of various shapes, and some of them require the target to be knocked over in order to score.  I vary which gun I use depending on the weather and the length of the walk.  For wettish weather I use my Hirsh Leman caplock or my Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken.  For dry days I choose a flint lock either a custom Pennsylvania long rifle or my Kern Jaeger.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version