Traditional Firearms > Flintlock Long Guns

Favorite caliber and gun for woodswalks?

<< < (2/7) > >>

BEAVERMAN:
For me doing a woods walk at a Rondy is my old 54 Lyman GPR, dang this is a tack driver, shoots way better than I can see anymore, if I'm doing a serious woods walk IE hunting here in the wet side or Washington State it's my old TC Renegade in 54, stock was put on a diet a dozen or so years ago and lock polished making it REAL fast, and I cut 2 inches of the barrel, comes up quick and swings fairly well in the brushy jungle we hunt for Elk and Deer in here, considering most of my kills have been 50 yards or less that shortened barrel is not a factor. Shes an ugly old girl, but she sure does shine when it's time to work!

No Powder:
Hey Smokey,  don't keep us in suspense for ever.I think we all  would like to know what your choices are too. Sounds like  a lot of love for Renegades. I bet you would like to use one of those also.

Ohio Joe:
Well, over at Chadron Fur Trade Days (the only place I can recall ever doing woods walks) I'd continue to go with my .45, but nothing less... (the reason) Some folks used .32's, .36's, and .40 caliber rifles - and they couldn't topple some of the heavier metal animal silhouettes with those smaller calibers, and to be honest - I aimed high on the metal to topple the ones I shot at with my .45...

So, it depends on (IMHO) on what will be required to be done during a woods walk / and usually you're not going to know if you have enough rifle or not, until you're doing the woods walk...

Ideally, IMHO - a .50 caliber would no doubt serve you the best as a minimum caliber, but the .54 is probably the one to bank on.

Just my opinion...

Hank in WV:
I used to shoot .40cal but lost too many points because I couldn't knock some targets down. So now I usually shoot the last .50 flinter I built until someone makes me an offer I can't refuse. Then build another (usually Bucks Co.).

No Powder:
Those targets that have to be knocked over can be frustrating with a small cal. But I have trouble hearing those tanks when hit by a small ball. Even with a 50 or 54 , with my hearing loss, I sometimes have to rely on others to tell me if I hit the tank . Especially if they're about 120yds. away. Those tanks are the biggest reason I like larger calibers. Don't graze those tanks. Hit them in the dead center. Make em ring.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version