Traditional Firearms > Flintlock Long Guns

Muzzle jumps to the right.

<< < (2/2)

LongWalker:
What load are you using?

Here's why I ask: as bore sizes increase, and charges increase, it seems to me the way the gun "twists" when fired due to the rifling tends to be noticed more.  I start to notice notice it in the .50-54 range, especially when the velocity is up there (say, 1750-1800 fps or more).  I also tend to notice it more when shooting FFFg than a load with the same velocity using FFg.

I suspect twist rate can also be a factor, at least I notice it more in a .58 with 1:48 rifling than I do in a .58 with 1:112 rifling. 

I first noticed this in cartridge handguns.  My 1911 had a bit of "hand twist" but a 45 Linebaugh had a definite "snap twist" (loads were, respectively, a 230 gr FP at 850 fps and at 1,700--the bullet weight is roughly the same as a .54 round ball). 

Honestly, if it is consistent but group sizes are good, I'd just adjust the sights to bring the point of impact to the desired location. 

Ohio Joe:
LongWalker makes a very good point, IMHO...  :bl th up

Nessmuk:
My trigger pull was too long so I was stretching to reach. It was just enough to cause me to jerk the trigger rather than the slow squeeze. Ohio Joe and Robd both taught me that a couple years ago.

Smokey:
 Thanks for the replies.

After some additional range trips, I have discovered that the source of the issue probably involves the nut immediately behind the trigger. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version