Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > Shooting the Bow

"The White Company"

<< < (2/5) > >>

Maven:
Most interesting & informative discussion. :bl th up  I hope it continues!

Ohio Joe:

--- Quote from: RobD on October 23, 2018, 09:17:46 AM ---i used to be able to hold a 65# for at least 3 seconds without any trembling, these dayze i can only do that with a 48# bow.  aging ain't fun.  ::)

the bodkin was the armor piercing point and the most common arrow head for war.  some were tri or quad sided, some more spear-like, but all were quite long.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

--- End quote ---

I wonder how they held there arrow heads on? Hide glue, bees wax? I don't know if I ever read what they used. We know the Indians would use senew to hold their flint arrow heads in place.

RobD:
prolly easiest and most secure - a single pin.

Winter Hawk:
Take a look at my post below on the history of the Long Bow.  I would have to reread portions of it, but I believe Mr. Hardy covers the glues used, etc. in his book.

Incidentally, if anyone wishes to borrow mine I'll gladly mail it as long as I have your firstborn as security that I will get it back.  On second thought, I have an empty nest now, so keep the firstborn.... :laffing

Kees

P.s. I just ordered this (used) from Amazon.  There was a NEW copy for $63+... :o

Winter Hawk:
My copy arrived today, in pristine condition except for a small piece of the dust jacket being torn off.  I don't even think it has been opened, as it has that new book feel when flipping the pages.  I have skimmed through it and am sure I will thoroughly enjoy reading it once I am done with The Voyageur by Grace Lee Nutte and H is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald.

Thank you Rob for posting this!

~Kees~

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version