Craftsmanship > Gun Building and Repair

Tennessee Rifle Build

(1/3) > >>

Ohio Joe:
I stumbled across this on youtube, it's a "33+ parts" video of a guy building a Tennessee Long Rifle... Now I've not watched them all, but those I have watched I believe are very informational to anyone looking to build a muzzleloading rifle...

I'm not saying we all build in the same manner, but this IMHO is up to the builder what information he/she may draw from these videos...

I've enjoyed the parts I've watched so far - and you might also... There's always information to be gained, and I'll admit that there's some parts I cringed at when he went after that stock with one hell-ov-a file (I've got a couple myself) where he chooses to use that file,,, but hey - he makes it work, and it's his project...

I picked the video up at part 32, but I'm gonna go back and start from Part 1...

There's something to learn from everyone who builds muzzleloaders IMHO.  :shake

Click the link below... Enjoy!!! :bl th up

Doc Nock:
Mr. Martin (OH Joe) I just finished a marathon of watchin those 40 videos of Bill Raby building that gun...

Good heavens!  What that told me was that this mother's Son should NEVER try to build a gun...

at 72 I can honestly say that while I'd wish to do so and have enjoyed crafting a lot of my own outdoor gear, I have not the tools, knowledge, experiences Or...patience to build anything more then a "screw driver kit"... My, oh my...

As he points out in #39, IIRC, it takes YEARS to afford the various Chisels, and gouges to do a good job...and it still took him like 6 mos working evenings after whatever is his Day Job...

But it was captivating to watch it take shape... NO Wonder I cannot afford a on-shore built gun! :) :Doh! ::)

Ohio Joe:
Doc, I'm glad you enjoyed the videos. They are an eye-opener, but don't let that discourage you or anyone else from trying your hand at it someday,,, even if you spread it out over time...  :shake

Yes, there are some special tools needed at times, but in this day and age - many tools can preform the same tasks if you're comfortable with them.  :bl th up

Glad you enjoyed the videos... There is always something to be gained from them.  :shake

Winter Hawk:
"Back in the day" they didn't have all the specialized tools we have now; often a rasp, file, chisels, hatchet and/or axe, screwdrivers, a saw (maybe) and a lot of patience were what was on hand.  Sometimes they had less than that and still made pretty decent guns!

~Kees~

Ohio Joe:
Exactly right Kees... :shake

I got to thinking about what I use, and the only three power tools I use is;

Drill (for pins and screws)
Dremell (for the lock)
Band Saw (to cut out a stock blank)

Everything else is done with hand tools (hammer. chisels, rasps, files, planes, sanding blocks, and some other odds & ends hand), it's all good what a person chooses to use.  :hairy 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version