Craftsmanship > Gun Building and Repair

Changing Sights

(1/2) > >>

Nessmuk:
The Pedersoli .45 Cal Kentucky rifle I bought off Gunbroker last year shoots 6" low at 50 yards. This normally would be an easy adjustment EXCEPT this rifle has tiny brass sights. I am talking really tiny, like .19" above the top plane of the barrel tiny. They look more decorative than functional. So I have ordered new sights from TOTW. The new sights have slightly larger dovetails than the rifle has. My question is simple, Which do I modify? Cut the rifle to match the sights or the sights to match the rifle?

Ohio Joe:
This is one of those personal choice things. Were it me, I'd modify the sights over enlarging the dovetails,,, but at the end of the day - it's your choice.  :shake

Bigsmoke:
Ditto what Joe said.
But on the other hand, what you have there is a standard metric dovetail.  If it were me, I would enlarge the dovetails on the barrel for one reason.  If you should ever want to change sights again and get a sight set the is standard 3/8" dovetail, you won't have to repeat the procedure.  File it once and be done with it.
I think the metric is about .360" and the standard is .375.  There is not a lot of filing to be done on the barrel.
John (Bigsmoke)

Hank in WV:
I'd be inclined to enlarge the dovetails for the same reason Smoke gave.

PetahW:

If the sight you ordered isn't steel, I would think it would be a lot easier to file it, ILO the barrel - if it gets messed up, it's a lot easier to get another sight.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version