Traditional Firearms > Cap and Ball Revolvers

everything to know about the '58 NMA ...

(1/7) > >>

RobD:
... which for me really does mean Everything!  

my first ever cap & ball revolver, a uberti remington 1858 NMA.  i need schooling on this revolver before it arrives late next week.  sounds like i'll need to get a .454 ball mould, probably a lee.  i've got swiss 3f powder and both #10 and #11 caps, i guess along with the mould i should get a capper rather than fumbling pushing 'em in with fingers.  

for loading, there are so many options, would like to hear what seems to work best for y'all - powder/ball/grease, powder/wad/ball, paper cartridge, the dreaded conicals ... and heck, even cf cartridge conversion cylinders.  

hope this’ll be a fun thing ... !?

rollingb:
I have 3 Remington 1858 NMA's, none of which are Uberti's but rather of the Pietta persuasion. I love'm all, VERY accurate and easy to care for.
I load them with 30 grs. of Goex FFFG,.... a pea sized ball of bee's wax and sheep tallow lube (a 50/50 mix) for a "lube cookie" in each chamber (between powder and ball),.... and .454 round balls (which I cast), I also have a Lee conical mold but never have taken the time to cast any of those.
2 of my Piettas have 8" barrels and the 3rd. has a 5 1/2" barrel.
I also lube the cylinder pin with the same lube as I use for the "lube cookies".
I've never had a chain-fire, and I have several cylinders for each pistol, which are carried (loaded) in cylinder pouches on each belt and holster set-up.

The Traditions cylinder loading tool is kind'a flimsy, but cheap and will work for a while,.... but something like the "tower-of-power" cylinder loading tool will last for generations.

Sorry I can't help with the cartridge cylinder conversions, I've never bothered getting one 'cause I'm still having too much with the percussion cylinders.  

RobD:
very good scoop, rondo - thanx!  

was more or less curious about the conversion cylinder, and ditto's for conicals.  bp balls are first 'n' foremost, for me.  i like the way yer loading, i'll give that a go.  i already have the gato feo lube.  

how 'bout a thin card over powder card wad?  perhaps the same milk carton wads i use for the .45-70 would work?  then the lube on top.

intrigued by the youtube vids of building and shooting paper cartridges, want to give that a try as well.

i plan on getting another cylinder.  for off gun loading i have a 1/2 ton fretting press that should work well.

just sorry i waited so long, shudda ordered it out early this year when the weather was better.  better late than never, sez i!

rollingb:
Yes,... you can use a card wad over the powder, but I haven't noticed any deterioration resulting from powder contamination of the "lube cookie" next to the powder charge,... and I've had some cylinders loaded for months between firings.  :rt th

Edited to add:....Different lubes may lead to different results regarding powder-contamination however.

RobD:
if the lube pea isn't a powder problem, i'll forego the card wad, one less thing to mess with.

how are you capping the nipple, what capping tool has worked best for you and your revolvers?
/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version