Traditional Firearms > Cap and Ball Revolvers

Revolver barrel removal

(1/3) > >>

Lonewolfe20:
Has any of you pros ever removed the barrel from a 1858 Remington or a 1851 navy?
Any help, tips or caveats are appreciated
I’ve watched a couple videos and have read a couple articles so I’m almost a pro.
Just kidding
Thanks everyone

rollingb:
If you've watched videos and read some articles about removing the barrels on those pistols, then you are more of an expert on the matter than I am.  :laffing

Just curious and probably none of my business but,.... what'cha wantin' to take the barrels off for?  :o

Winter Hawk:
1851 Navy I had I would pull the wedge, then rotate the cylinder until the rammer was over the web between chambers and use the loading lever to force the barrel off.  It's been 48 years since I had it though, and I'm working from memory which is starting to fade... :Doh!

~Kees~

Lonewolfe20:
My son came home with with 58 rem and wants it engraved.
So I figured I would strip it for the ease of engraving the barrel
But just wanted to make sure to talk with you guys before I try to unthread the barrel.
I know there is a lot of gunsmithing knowledge here and wanted to tap into it.
Hope all is well out there

rollingb:

--- Quote from: Lonewolfe20 on August 23, 2018, 10:54:53 PM ---My son came home with with 58 rem and wants it engraved.
So I figured I would strip it for the ease of engraving the barrel
But just wanted to make sure to talk with you guys before I try to unthread the barrel.
I know there is a lot of gunsmithing knowledge here and wanted to tap into it.
Hope all is well out there

--- End quote ---
I've never tried it myself (as I've never had the need to),.... but over the years I've heard a few fellas mention "clamping the barrel of a '58 Remington in a padded vice (close to the frame), and using a 1" oak dowel, or a wooden hammer handle, through the frame to unscrew it from the barrel.

If I was gonna try it, I'd use sheet brass for the vice pads.  :bl th up

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version