Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Are you up to a Revolutionary sized personal challenge?  (Read 12222 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Are you up to a Revolutionary sized personal challenge?
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2023, 07:17:45 PM »
I do think it's fair to say of those feller's back then, that they knew their rifle and their capabilities - as it was an everyday survival tool that was used a lot for hunting / protection / and the good ol' shooting match that usually followed Church services on Sunday in their settlements.

I wouldn't want to shoot against them in a shooting match / and I darn sure would want them by my side if some dangerous shooting was called for! IMHO, you just can't beat an American Rifleman!  :toast
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
  • Achieved 2020 Challenge / 4 year postal competitor
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2023, 07:45:54 PM »
10-4 good buddy! Here's a thought that might speak to their shooting ability. If many guys were so adept that they wanted orange sized or smaller targets at 200 yards, maybe that cold bore shot at a 7x10 shingle at 250 was Morgan's way of going EASY on the newbies who were trying for a spot in one of his companies!   :toast
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2023, 07:51:54 PM »
Heck, I'd want them on my team whether or not they shot the shingle or the orange.  :toast
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline LongWalker

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2023, 08:12:41 PM »
That's just about what I was a thinking it would be (there about) in that neighborhood!  :bl th up

Kind 'a like "Sight Base Aiming" LongWalker?
The sight base didn't really come into play til about 300 yards; by 400 I was holding on the barrel. . . .

The really bad part of such low sights is the way we do our shoots today.  Instead of 20 or however many shooters lining up, firing one shot, then going to the back of the line (letting barrels cool) while waiting to shoot again, we do 20 minute relays.  The heat waves coming off the barrel make such low sights very hard to use.  I know I'll be changing the sights on the Kibler, won't know to what til I get it in hand. 

The more I think about it, the more I think my Leman will keep the same sights as it has now.  When I rebuild my personal rifle I'll be changing the rear sight to a folding leaf jaeger style, with the fixed leaf filed to what the Brits call an "express sight", and the front will get changed to a lower bead kinda like the Dickert had. 

I'm looking forward to getting the Kibler done so I can play more in games like these!

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2023, 07:25:36 PM »
A bit more about the shooting ability of the men who Morgan sought. In a letter, one of Morgan's contemporaries, Richard Henry Lee, said that they displayed remarkable dexterity and that in shooting contests they desired targets at least 200 yards distant and no larger than an orange. Whatever the truth was, they sure knew how to use those "curious muskets" that weren't the usual smooth bores.

Hmmm.  They must have had eagle eyes to even SEE an orange at 200 yards.  I think I would be hard put to see one at that distance even with 8 power binoculars!
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2023, 08:05:24 PM »
Well, I tried again Sunday before our regular match. I was using my .45 TC Hawken. Just one Rifle as it was pretty breezy on Sunday. I took a nice big chunk out of the target, enough said.  ;banghead;. Would someone else please try it and share your tale of woe?
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline No Powder

• TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #75
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2023, 08:51:43 PM »
I've tried twice now . First time with 45 TC  Hawken. Shot 5" to the left of the edge of the shingle. Second time with 50 TC Renegade. This time I shot 7" to the right of the edge of the shingle. Doesn't look too promising.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 10:01:10 PM by Nessmuk »

TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2023, 11:41:24 PM »
Well, Nessmuk and No Powder, I haven't tried yet. I might get a chance dyring the last three weeks of the month if the weather cooperates. Trouble is it's getting colder and rain and snow might be coming. You guys aren't giving me much hope, though. Those Rev citizen/soldiers must have been some tough guys who never wasted a precious lead ball.
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."

Offline No Powder

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2023, 04:15:27 PM »
Well I tried the shingle target again today . But I don't know if I have a tale of woe or not. If 1/2 of the ball has to be inside the shingle, it's a tale of woe .If it only has too hit the edge of the shingle, it's a tale of lucky success. I will try to post a picture if my wife will help. The temp was about 34 with a bit of wind. I've been trying to play with Schuetzen powder, so after shooting my fouling shot at the shingle, I shot 3 more shots at 50yds. My fingers were beginning to feel like popsicles by that time and I decided to go home.

Offline Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2023, 12:56:10 AM »
Mrs. No Powder, please help him post the picture. We're on pins and needles waiting. :applaud :applaud
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online KDubs

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2023, 03:51:49 PM »
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
Well,  nuff said.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2023, 04:15:39 PM »
KDubs, that looks like a solid attempt with terrific results, especially considering it was done with a whopping sized ball, a huge gob of powder, and a smoothbore to boot! You have my respect, and I don't ever want you shooting at me! Great job. I hope you keep trying and also try it with a rifled barrel. Great pics, thanks.  :)

Offline No Powder

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2023, 04:18:07 PM »
Kevin, there are a bunch of good  smooth bore shooters in this group, and you're one of them.

Online KDubs

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2023, 07:16:02 PM »
Well I'm more lucky than good . thanks so much.
 This is my kit I built a yr or so ago. This was Probably my 5th shot from it. Don't have a set charge yet.
 I need to shoot it a lot more . I spent some time over the winter tuning the lock and learning about flintlocks a la Mike belivue.  Sorry to here of his dilemma.
 I'll keep trying, .54 hawken is next and for fun maybe a .54 great Plains pistol.  Why not. 
 Kevin

TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2023, 11:39:13 PM »
Kevin, you needed to patch the ball.
A silk patch would have given you a flatter trajectory.
Don't believe it?  Watch Last of the Mohicans.
John (Bigsmoke)
PS, Good shooting to even hit the paper.
J
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life