Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: OMG just doesn't quite describe this one!  (Read 1442 times)

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
  • Achieved 2020 Challenge / 4 year postal competitor
OMG just doesn't quite describe this one!
« on: March 10, 2023, 06:24:28 PM »
Believe it or not, but one of TMA's own is the first "latter-day Sharpshooter" to join Captain Morgan's rifle wielding cream of the crop shooters. If you have been following the postal matches for the past few years, it will come as no surprise that Tom Faidley, No Powder, nailed the mini shingle, the one Nessmuk dubbed the postage stamp target at 100 yards, standing, cold bore, one shot. Tom's target says it all. To quote the late, great Gunny: OUTSTANDING!
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: OMG just doesn't quite describe this one!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 06:33:25 PM »
Good on No Powder!!!  :hairy

I never doubted for a second that he'd get it done. The man is a shooting machine!!! And a dang good one!!!  :toast :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 07:20:36 PM »
Remember, No Powder might be the first to join Morgan's guys, but Morgan had two companies of Sharpshooters, so there is room for many more who have the right stuff. If you achieve it, pm me a clear picture of your target with all the info like NoPo put on his. Do that, and I'll mail you a wallet sized portrait of Alexander Hamilton. Hopefully you will treat yourself to some Sam Adams lager, or whatever you enjoy after a great day of shooting.   :toast
Defend the 2nd Amendment - If you can't fight for your rights, you don't have any!     "I was standin' at the toe mark on the 25-yard line, I was gunnin' fer' a 50 with my rifle Clementine."

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023, 11:00:02 PM »
Right good shooting there, NoPo.
It's a good thing that we operate on the line cut gets the score.  What a shame if we were going more than half the ball.
Keep up the good work.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2023, 02:39:00 PM »
I personally have never really cared for the "half in or better" scoring... A hit target is a hit target regardless if the target receives the full brunt of impact. Why the NMLRA ever went with "half or better" cutting the scoring line to get the higher score value is beyond me??? I expect they did it to be different from the the NRA?

Now if Tom's shot is to be determined that that Shingle's Top is the top of an enemy's shoulder blades / well, that enemy is done for (no throat left)!  If'n it's the top of his head / skull fracture and brains seeping out... :shake

Online The Miner '49er

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2023, 03:50:10 PM »
I'm with Ohio Joe on this. Since the Morgan's Shingle personal challenge was in initiated by me, that "half in" idea is of no concern. A hit anywhere on the shingle is a hit.  All you have to do is break the sharp outline. That was good enough for Morgan and good enough for me, too. Anyone who strikes that at 100 yds, cold bore, one attempt/one shot only, standing, and without any artificial support joins No Powder on the winners platform. If you do it, either post your target image on the forum along with all the details we all want to know, or you can pm me first if you prefer. Who is going to be next????   :toast

Offline No Powder

• TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024
  • TMA: Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #75
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2023, 06:28:05 PM »
You can call it whatever you want. Luck , Divine intervention or anything else. I simply say, beggars can't be choosy. The first thing I thought of when I saw where my ball hit was Uncle Russ. You may ask why. IIRC Uncle Russ is partial to TC Renegades. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected.

TMA Exp. Date; June 26, 2024

Offline Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2023, 08:28:05 PM »
If you're gonna shoot, Shoot! Don't Talk!!             (With apologies to Eli Wallach)

Just like No Powder! Great Job, Tom!!
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online Butler Ford 40

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2023, 09:50:44 AM »
No more excuses about old age! Eagle Eye and nerves of steel!  Well done Ol'Man!!!  :hairy
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey for tomorrow I may have to eat them.  Amen

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2023, 10:50:45 AM »
If I weren't such a fair-weather shooter, I'd have my missed shot made already...   :laffing

Side Note; I do have my 2-7/8" x 4" black shingle cut out (which I'll glue to my target backer paper that'll get stapled to the card-board at 100 yards). I no longer have a printer - so I'll just take a shot at the little black shingle. Hopefully I get some decent weather soon.

No Powder has me itching to get to the Range! 

Offline No Powder

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2023, 03:02:34 PM »
Good luck Joe. I'd like to share a little information about my postage stamp Renegade, better known as my " Louisville Slugger". It's about as pretty as a ball bat. Before I took ownership, it was owned by a Hunter Ed. teacher. He used it as a teaching aid. I believe it began life as a kit. Poor craftsmanship and neglect turned it into an eye sore. He had replaced the barrel with a piece of clear plastic tubing with a charge of black pepper, patch, and ball. The pepper, representing powder is the part I sometimes forget. I eventually replaced the lock, trigger assembly, and plastic tubing with another Renegade barrel. It sure ain't the prettiest thing in the world, but it works. I think I'll keep it. By the way, it's the only flint lock I own, that I have not harvested a deer with.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2023, 08:14:32 PM »
Tom, I've always said that just because it's a "purty" rifle, doesn't make it shoot so "purty"

Sometimes the ol' dogs you wouldn't let ride in the back of your pickup are the best dogs that'll do right by you! If your rifle's a good shooter - that's all that matters my friend. Opinions are a dime a dozen! You just keep on enjoy that Renegade. It made Morgan's Team!!!  :hairy

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2023, 01:40:54 PM »
Tom,
My first m/l rifle was a Renegade.  Over the years a friend and I fashioned a curved butt plate for it, and I installed a Hawken Shop trigger guard and rear sight.  I got a 1" steel nose cap for it and installed that.  I went to the Eureka, MT rendezvous which I won and with those funds, I purchased a Douglas premium barrel, had it cut down to 36" and installed.
The rifle turned into a good looking, straight shooting charcoal burner.  So, like a damn fool, I sold it years and years ago.  And I still miss it.  Last I heard, it was residing in Texas somewhere.  Oh well...
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life

Offline No Powder

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2023, 03:16:50 PM »
Thanks for sharing that bit of info. My very first flint was a Renegade too. So I have 3 Renegades. My first, the Louisville Slugger, and one with a Green Mountain interchangeable 50 cal. barrel on it . I've never heard anything bad about them. You're not alone.I've heard about so many that sold theirs and wish they had it back . There wasn't much T C on yours anymore. I need another one like I need another hole in my head. But you know how that goes. If I were to find another one, might have to buy it .Did you win that shoot with the Renegade?

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2023, 05:06:15 PM »
Yes, I did win the shoot with the Renegade.  Later that year I went deer hunting with it and missed a 25 yard shot at a fat doe standing still.  I knew that wasn't my fault and that very occasionally it was getting to the point where it did that.

SO,

I bought the Douglas barrel.

John (Bigsmoke)

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life