Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: What load does your .54 Renegade like?  (Read 1458 times)

Offline Skychief

• TMA Forum Member
What load does your .54 Renegade like?
« on: February 15, 2009, 11:04:23 PM »
I just acquired a Renegade in 54 caliber.   I want to know what loads yours prefer.   BTW, I have a chance to buy some Speer .535 for $9.00/100.   This is one reason I ask my question.   Thanks!

Offline jimknife

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 09:43:02 AM »
I checked with Gander mountain,  their price was about $18/100 for .530.  May have to adjust patch thickness. Mine shoots .530 with about .015 patch and 85 grains BP.
Charter member  #138
12/05/10

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 12:30:21 PM »
Sky, Does your Renegade have a full 1 inch barrel?
I don't own a Renegade, kinda wish I did, but with one of my .54 with a GM barrel on a T/C caplock, I use 90gr FFFg , a .530 roundball, and a .018 tick patch for hunting.
On my GPR (Flinter) for hunting, I use 80gr FFFg and the same roundball / patch.

For "playing", and punching paper, it seems that 60 gr FFg does pretty good with same ball / patch and a homemade lube.....a very basic lube with 75% Crisco, and 25% Beeswax.

That Renegade of yours, with the 1" tube, has a really good name when it comes to accuracy. It seems to like about anything you feed it, or so I'm told.

At today's prices, $9.00 / 100 is more than fair, actually good!

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 02:10:02 PM »
I have a Renegade with both a .50 and .54 barrel.  Since it is 1/48" twist in both I generally use mini-maxies that I cast myself.  The .50 seems to like 80 to 90 gr FFF and the .54 likes 90 to 100 gr FF

I did not take it out this year as I wanted to make my T/C Hawken with the 1/60" twist work with PRB.  Lots of fun but never got a shot.

We are getting some coyotes coming in now chasing the deer and neighborhood dogs.  After the Trade shows we intend to go after them with a blind and rabbit calls.  We also have a friend who has an electric 'bunny on a stick' - what a hoot that is!!!

My sons are going to use .243 and .22-250, but I think I want to try the Renegade and try to call them in a bit closer.
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Online Two Steps

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 07:33:13 PM »
IIRC...my .54 renegade does well with 75gr 3fff, .530 RB in a pillow ticking patch with Moose Juice....or a .535 RB with a .015 patch...also with moose juice.

If I found any .535's for $9.00 the hundred ( or .530's for that matter) I'd buy all I could.
Al
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Offline Skychief

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 03:31:56 PM »
I bought 300 Speer .530's (originally thought they were .535's).   I appreciate all the replies guys!   I hope my Renegade will shoot as well as my T/C Hawken "Custom".    My "Custom" in .50 caliber has NEVER let me down and has been deer poison for years.   I can't imagine hunting with anything else, but I sure like the heft of those 54 caliber roundballs!   Thanks all!

Offline Skychief

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 03:48:38 PM »
Quote from: "RussB"
Sky, Does your Renegade have a full 1 inch barrel?
I don't own a Renegade, kinda wish I did, but with one of my .54 with a GM barrel on a T/C caplock, I use 90gr FFFg , a .530 roundball, and a .018 tick patch for hunting.
On my GPR (Flinter) for hunting, I use 80gr FFFg and the same roundball / patch.

For "playing", and punching paper, it seems that 60 gr FFg does pretty good with same ball / patch and a homemade lube.....a very basic lube with 75% Crisco, and 25% Beeswax.

That Renegade of yours, with the 1" tube, has a really good name when it comes to accuracy. It seems to like about anything you feed it, or so I'm told.

At today's prices, $9.00 / 100 is more than fair, actually good!

Uncle Russ...

Hey Russ, my Renegade is 1" across the flats.  Thanks for your interest and insight.   BTW, where do you get your beeswax please?