Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Silver Eagle  (Read 1589 times)

Offline doc623

• TMA Forum Member
Silver Eagle
« on: March 04, 2009, 10:48:57 AM »
Not to hyjack the previous topic of 'Of a Lowly Bobcat' I will start here.
I am trying to find information on this side lock.
It is a side lock with a silver textured finish on the barrel in a synthetic plastic stock with a rubber recoil pad.
It has:
Stone Manufacturing, Inc.
Maid in Sapin
Plack Powder Only
silver Eagle
.50 Cal
 on the barrel.
I would like any information on this piece.
I m considering on redoing the finish on the barrel and restocking it.
Anu help info would be most appreciated as I tried a search on various sites and have nothing thus far.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 11:55:42 AM »
Doc,.... what kind of information are you looking for?

I found this bit of information on another website,.... Stone Mountain is a sister company of CVA, and their 1-800 phone is in Norcross, GA. However, the phone is seldom answered, and the weaponry sold by Stone Mountain is made in Italy, and SPAIN! They seem to have a small market share, and small reputation as well.

Another fella stated,... "Stone Mountain is an importer of "seconds", and the cap and ball pistol I got from them was bored off-center."

I see GunsAmerica has a Silver Eagle muzzleloader for sale,... minnimum bid is $148.00,.... or, "BUY IT NOW" for $175.00

HTH
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline doc623

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 11:57:19 AM »
Just any and/or all information.
What you gave is a good start thanks.

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 12:44:13 PM »
Rollingb, I thought I'd run across the Stone Mtn. name It was on an in-line a fella bought at Wal-mart. He wanted me to sight it in and tune it up. I have never seen a new bore in such a bad condition. The entire length of the bore had chatter marks and the lands were so rough you couldn't run a patch through it it snagged the patch so badly there were nothing but pcs. when it came out.I don't know that all of their guns are that bad but I've seen toy guns with better machineing. Its a shame that CVA went from a respectable co. and turned out to be a junk dealer.I cleaned his gun up and it functioned ok. but Its hard to believe that they have NO quality control and let these "unfinished" guns out on the market.
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Spotted Bull

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 12:45:44 PM »
STONE MOUNTAIN ARMS, INC.
5988 Peachtree Corners East
Norcross, GA 30071
Phone: 770-449-4687
Fax: 770-242-8546

Same information as for the CVA folks.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 03:17:40 PM »
Quote from: "Gordon H.Kemp"
Rollingb, I thought I'd run across the Stone Mtn. name It was on an in-line a fella bought at Wal-mart. He wanted me to sight it in and tune it up. I have never seen a new bore in such a bad condition. The entire length of the bore had chatter marks and the lands were so rough you couldn't run a patch through it it snagged the patch so badly there were nothing but pcs. when it came out.I don't know that all of their guns are that bad but I've seen toy guns with better machineing. Its a shame that CVA went from a respectable co. and turned out to be a junk dealer.I cleaned his gun up and it functioned ok. but Its hard to believe that they have NO quality control and let these "unfinished" guns out on the market.

Gordy,.... I think the experience you had with that fella's rifle would support the statement that Stone Mountain is an importer of "seconds".

Doc,.... after checking your individual rifle over very carefully, have you found any flaws in it's construction that could possibly rate it as a "second", like maybe the bore is drilled off center,... (or as Gordy found on the other guy's rifle),... the bore is full of chatter-marks?
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline doc623

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 03:27:40 PM »
I'll look again; however I have found nothing like what was described here so far.
The bor is clean and not rough.
It shoots well.
I did change to fiberoptic sights for these old eyes.
fit and finish seems to be good.
I should mention that I bought this maybe 15+ years ago an am just now getting around to taking an interest in changing it to a wood stock and changing the look of the outside of the barrel from a silver finish.

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 05:17:44 PM »
doc if you purchased the gun 10 or more years ago, the chances are the quality control was a lot better . The parent co. CVA has been sold at least three times and i thinkmore since it was based in Conn. Origanally CVA was a pioneer in making a decent weapon available for a price affordable to most folks. CVA imported most of whar they sold but they kept the quality to an acceptable standard. The CVA mountain rifle is still sought by many today, sume were made with all American parts.Chznces are the rifle you have is of much better quality than the weapons sold in recent year years.
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline doc623

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 08:25:43 AM »
One of the questions concerning this side lock is the textured finish.
Does anyone know if and or how I may change to a blued or browned finish?
I assume that I would have to first smooth the finish and the go from there. But how?
And should I or should I just leave it alone?
I don't know how the silver finish barrel would look in a wood stock.
I am not fond of the synthetic stock.

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 09:13:12 AM »
doc I'd take the barrel off the stock and try scraping a small area right under the breech. this way if it appears to be too much of a problem removing the matt ffinish it won't show if you drcide to leave it as is. I think it will come off , but it will take time and elbow grease. Once the silver is removed just wash it down with alky and use plumbrown. there are wooden stocks that will work on your gun. I believe the Pioneer model of the CVA Bobcat will take the parts with little or no modifications.
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 11:11:25 AM »
I agree with Gordy,... I'd try a bit of "draw filing" on the underside of the barrel to see what it takes to remove the texured finish. Emory cloth might also work well if it's not real thick tough stuff.  :rt th
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 02:57:42 PM »
doc I think the silver matt finish is just sprayed on. You might want to try a chemical varnish/paint remover. but do a very small spot as with the scraping.
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 06:12:30 PM »
Quote from: "Gordon H.Kemp"
doc if you purchased the gun 10 or more years ago, the chances are the quality control was a lot better . The parent co. CVA has been sold at least three times and i thinkmore since it was based in Conn. Origanally CVA was a pioneer in making a decent weapon available for a price affordable to most folks. CVA imported most of whar they sold but they kept the quality to an acceptable standard. The CVA mountain rifle is still sought by many today, sume were made with all American parts.Chznces are the rifle you have is of much better quality than the weapons sold in recent year years.

FWIW, My own observations reflect exactly what Gordy has said in the above post. I even recall a time when CVA was preferred over the T/C which has always been the front runner in entry level muzzleloaders.
When CVA introduced the "Mountain Rifle" they became back-ordered overnight, and prices shot sky high for it's day and time.
Having followed this thread for a couple of days I am also in agreement with the others when they say your rifle "most likely" din't fall in that group where quality control was lacking or absent.

Sounds like you may have a nice rifle under that "textured finish", if you ever get it off.

Is it possible to post a picture of the rifle, as it is now, before you start removing the finish?

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 09:06:21 AM »
I have not been able to find much on  what the coating is .
 Im thinking for the  price range though , its probably just  a powder coating . As the others have said , file or use a 100 or 120 grit paper and block on the bottom of the breech area to test this . Same thing with the lock ..
 Myself , I have never handled one of these  so its hard  for me to say what  they used . As to bluing browning or rust black . that’s not a real issue  and all are easily enough done . But your going to have to strip the  finish off first

As to stocks , you can make your own .
Past that , the bobcat was made under a lot of different names , just as you are now finding out .
 Originally though CVA carried a wood stock  on this line .
 Look for an early  Bobcat , Youth hunter , deer stalker  or Traditions Deer  Hunter  of the same caliber .
All  are really pretty much the same rifle .
 From the look of it ,  the silver eagle is also the same rifle , just done in silver . But I would have to see one up close to say 100% for sure .
 Now IF  again I say IF  traditions followed  the CVA line here , which they normally do . Then they state that their barrels are Nickel plated .  Now this isn’t a hot nickel , but a cold nickel . As such it can be sanded through . Here are the traditions  versions . Listed as deer hunters  .
 now myself , unless yu just dont like the silver .  leaving it bright would look very good with a custom stock  with  german silver hardwear

The Deerhunter 50cal percussion rifle comes with an all weather synthetic stock and a 24" nickel barrel. We have designed this muzzleloader to be lightweight, easy to shoot and incredibly accurate for a very modest price.

The 24" nickel octagonal performance barrel has a 1 in 48" twist and comes with fully adjustable Lite Optic sights and is also drilled and tapped for a mounting a scope. The Deerhunter barrels are designed to shoot saboted bullets, concial bullets and patched round balls accurately.

Additional features include
Crisp hunting trigger
Non-slip recoil pad
Sling swivels for attaching a sling
Shooting, loading, and cleaning instructions

As to quality ?  Well imo anything made prior to CVA closing their traditional lines  was  of  fair quality for their price range .
 We have to remember these rifles were marketed in the 30-60 dollar range  just a couple years ago . When CVA closed their line of traditional muzzleloaders , the price double and in many case tripled over night . Today with the US dollar being where it is , the price has went even higher . but nothing has really changed .
 Traditons and CVA  are like GM and chevy  both made from the same plant

So you get the quality for that price range . Some where good , others were not .
 As to drilling off center . CVA sold no drilled barrels  that I know of .  Their barrels in the last 20 years are made by the same company that makes Traditions . IE Jukar or a sub of Jukar . As such the barrels are either drawn or extruded .
 When a barrel is drilled , its common to have whats called run out . Normally this run out is placed at the breech end OR in som cases placed  so the run out is up or down at the muzzle  so it can be compensated for  . again run out is not uncommon in hand made Iron barrels of their period .
 Now this may sound odd to some of you but it matters little if the barrel has run out . What maters is that the bore is true  and the wall thickness  of the barrel is  within tolerances. If the barrel was exstruded or drawn with run out , then it should have been rejected IMO . these showing up could very well be  parts that are coming to a point where  such companies that are buying them are  finding themselves  buying  secound or  returned stocks  of parts . so thats something to seriously think about .

Offline doc623

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 10:30:24 AM »
That a lot of useful information.
It looks like or very similar to the pics posted. No I cannot post a pic, but may find a way in the near future.
Thanks.
The bore looks good.
The barrel seems true.
I'll consider the 'silver inlays and a wood stock.
I have only shot it a couple times.
I'll have to do more.
If I don't make a wood stock for it; where should I look for a possible stock?
It is not drilled/tapped for a scope.
It had original sites that I changed for fiber optic type for my eyes - which missed two deer this past seasom; got vision checked and am in the process of up dating my glasses. The best excuse that I can come up with for missing two standing/walking deer.