Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Switched to caps; need lots of advice?  (Read 1562 times)

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 09:59:34 AM »
Season is over here. I killed two deer with my gun after I switched over to caps. I kept the gun very clean and tried to hunt with a fresh cleaned gun which involved cleaning the barrel as usual and then removing the nipple and further flushing the drum channel and completely degreasing it before reinstalling the clean nipple to load. I took the advice above and always popped two caps before loading. The results so far have been 100% ignition. When I have shot for fun, I patch between shots and fire a cap before loading. Again, 100% ingnition on the first try so far. I still like flinters and left my 12 guage fowler with the flintlock on it. Now honestly, the main reason I switched my gun over to caps was speed of ignition. I am not that new anymore and my loading procedure and results in flint are I believe as fast as it can possibly be. Still, I can honestly tell a difference in ignition time between flint and cap. The cap is faster and that is just how it is with my gun. Since I am only a few years into it, I decided to experiment and kill a few deer with the caplock on it to see how I liked it that way. I had already killed a dozen plus deer with the flintlock in place so I decided to experiment with the cap and see if it really improved my shooting because of the speed of ignition. In target shooting and in hunting my ability to shoot the gun really well improved with the caplock in place. Maybe I will settle on one or the other. Then again maybe not....which is why I had it built the way I did so I could easily and quickly convert it back and forth. Short answer....I like um both!!  I just think the cap is faster and I shoot it better. That may change with time and practice. :-)