Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Hawken Troubles  (Read 1257 times)

Spotted Bull

Hawken Troubles
« on: June 11, 2008, 10:22:49 PM »
OK here is my predicament.  I bought my son a brand new Traditions Hawken back in Feb.  We took it out shooting and when we took the barrel off to clean it up, and then the lock, I noticed that there was a broken piece on the back of the lock that holds the spring down.  OK, we finally got the barrel and the lock back on and went shooting the next weekend.  Well, that broken piece kept him from taking it down and cleaning and made me a little nervous about him shootin it.  So I got in touch with Traditions and a very nice lady there got the lock replaced for free and had it shipped overnight back to us so that he could use it the next weekend.  When we went out to shoot, he noticed that there was a piece broken off of the nipple.  So, we got a new nipple and put on it.  When we took it out this weekend, the front bolt that holds the lock onto the stock fell out because the threads stripped out.  Now is this just an omen that we should maybe retire this thing and get him another rifle, or what?  The reason we ordered it from Traditions is that it was one of the only (affordable) left-handed Hawkens I could find.  Should I sell it and just tell in the add the problems we've had with it?  He's getting pretty frustrated that almost every time he goes out to shoot, something happens.

Offline Groundhog

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 10:40:14 PM »
In all honesty ... the gun sounds like junk ... demand ya money back.
Not worth the yougin gettin hurt or worse over.
TMA Member # 273 EXP. 07/15/08
Conocheague Valley Men
Keep the Tradition Alive for Future Generations !
Remove all WARNING LABELS , survival of the fittest.
go look at my blog    http://shootingpouch.blogspot.com/

Spotted Bull

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 10:43:56 PM »
I have thought about that.  I may give that a try.  I have gotten a pretty nice relationship with the folks there.  Thanks.

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 11:07:35 PM »
Call them, tell them the problems you've had with it and that you want the entire thing replaced, as far as the screw striping out, that could be a bad tap from the factory on the replacement lock, or maybe you could have cross threaded it, not saying that you did, but mind you, Traditions does stand behind there stuff, Id make them replace the whole thing!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 01:27:11 AM »
I agree with asking for a replacement rifle.  :rt th

YMHS
Rondo
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Kirrmeister

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 03:29:56 AM »
Hello from Germany,

normally Traditions makes good quality to an affordable price, but this rifle seems to be a socalled "monday-gun". I would also ask for replacing the bad parts.

Regards

Kirrmeister
TMA-member since Feb 2008, member# 329,

NMLRA member

Keep traditional!

Spotted Bull

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 06:05:43 AM »
I sent them an email saying how dissatisfied we are with their product but left it open-ended as to what they are going to do.  I have found that to let the other folks have the idea is an easier way to get things moving.  She usually responds rather quickly.  I'll keep ya'll posted.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 09:42:02 AM »
A couple things here fellas .
 One of the plus IMO to muzzleloading rifles is there isn’t a lot to go wrong or break .
 That being said things do break .  Sear springs  let go . Main springs let go , flys  snap , so on and so forth . Things happen .

When it comes to lock bolts , I find most times folks just way over tighten them . When this happens , the softer material of the bolt lets go  thus stripping .
Sometimes all it takes is a bad thread  and you get a striped bolt . It happens to the best of us.
 Frankly  I think your problem is with the quality of the lock  work  not the gun .
 Remember these are assembled pieces  made in different locations by Jukar or is subsidiaries .
Nothing really wrong with that . Most folks find them in most cases  adequate .
 When however they do have problems , its most commonly in the locks . This has held true since the 1970’s both with  CVA , JUKAR  and now Traditions.
 Frankly  is just a sign of the  quality that being paid for  . On one hand you may get a weapon that works flawlessly for years . But you can just as well find yourself with one that doesn’t .
 I think you have done the right thing by contacting them . I have found through the years that sometimes they  are very helpful , yet other times , I get no replies on their warrantee. Most times they are pretty good to work with . Just stay cool  and be polite . Save the tone  for when it starts to look like  your getting the run around .So keep tying .  If they ask  you to send the rifle back , do so . I know it’s a bummer to have to do that  as sometimes it takes a while for it to be returned .
 Sometimes you get your same rifle back that they have fixed . Other times , it’s a new rifle  hopefully without the problems of the old one

If however you find your getting no where . Then  simply order  set of new  lock bolts from somewhere like ToW . They’re  of better quality anyway  and you would be far ahead in the long run .
 If you continue to have problems with the lock , then consider replacing it with one like the L&R, LPR’s . these aren’t bad locks and  in fact are a great improvement over the factory lock . Now they will take alittle fitting work but  again you will be far ahead in the long run . .

Spotted Bull

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 12:49:52 PM »
OK, here's the update.  we got the new bolts and all seems well with that, gotta new nipple and figured out how to tighten the rear sight.  So we are going out shootin' tomorrow morning and let the boy sight the thang in.  He kinda particular about that accuracy thang.  Then if he is happy I'll be happy.  If not we will start a rebuild and hit all of the building threads for advice.